Fuel Tank

For any motorsport activities
dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Fuel Tank

Postby dopdog » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:28 pm

I keep thinking about a rear exhaust for my fury but the main issue is that the fuel tank in also in the rear.

SO

what do you think if I put the fuel tank in the passenger seat area? I do not have a passenger seat and I seem to remember seeing a racing seven with this done, the area was then covered/boxed in to seal it all.

what are the pros and cons if any of doing this?

RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Re: Fuel Tank

Postby RobMsport » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:39 am

Don't think the scrutes will like it , especially the ' lame little chap ' who scrutes at Goodwood :!: My original silencer on the Stylus went across the rear , just under the tank -- heat sheild etc . If room , the system could be twin ovals to reduce silencer height . I only moved mine to side exit because the original went down underneath the chassis then across and I wanted to lower the car . You could split the entry pipe into twins OR enter one then back into the other :idea:

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:53 am

Think I read about someone doing this before. They had to bring the passenger rear panel forward and cut out the floor under the tank to convince the scrutineers it wasn't IN the passenger area. If the tank split/leaked it couldn't/wouldn't get into the passenger area, was the argument. Can't remember if it was for sprint/hillclimb or circuit racing.

Just a memory though, not recent and not gospel.

There's space above the diff for a small tank if it's IRS and this LCB thread shows quite a large tank using that and some tunnel space (not a simple solution though)...
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthr ... 952&page=6

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:47 pm

Two or three of the better sprinting Westfields have just this arrangement (most notably Derek Hodder's supercharged Honda version. It doesn't seem to be a problem providing the tank is fully contained within a separate compartment with no unsealed holes.

Of course, it's a full no-no for anyone competing in road-going classes.

For sprinting, I have a 9 litre fuel tank in the back of the Striker, which takes up very little room at all. As suggested by Adi, could a creatively crafted tank not be a solution?
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:54 pm

Two or three of the better sprinting Westfields have just this arrangement (most notably Derek Hodder's supercharged Honda version. It doesn't seem to be a problem providing the tank is fully contained within a separate compartment with no unsealed holes.

Of course, it's a full no-no for anyone competing in road-going classes.

For sprinting, I have a 9 litre fuel tank in the back of the Striker, which takes up very little room at all. As suggested by Adi, could a creatively crafted tank not be a solution?
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Postby dopdog » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:31 pm

I was just thinking about fitting another silencer in the back to make sure I pass sound tests.
page85_3.jpg
page85_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

7ishNZ
Name: Evan Morgan

Postby 7ishNZ » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:21 am

Here's a link to the rear exhaust I made for my phoenix
http://i.imgur.com/FjIOItO.jpg

micha
Name: Micha mertens

Postby micha » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:42 am

a tank / fuel cell which complies with FIA rules is allowed to be fitted inside a car if there is another aluminium compartment fitted around.

Return to “Motorsport”