early Sylva Fury in Germany

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Prickel
Name: Thomas Lottert

early Sylva Fury in Germany

Postby Prickel » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:21 pm

Hello,
its my first posting in your forum.
My name is Tom, 58 years old and i`m living near Bochum in Germany.
Well, since some weeks i have a nice Fury, colored in british racing green.
Over 6 years i was looking for a nice Fury, think now have my most favorite found.
The Car is in germany around 18-20 years, bought when it was at Nürburgring.
Most time was in garage and never seen rain.
8000 miles it run on street or race.
Engine is in fine condition, achievement test stand of power with best result.

Chassis Nr is SF920063, in GB the registration Number was XBE358V
In "Which Car Oktober 93" my Fury is at front cover with story.
Wheels was changed to aluminium but the rest is absolute original.
Triumph TR7 Engine with parts of Saab, like it was built.

So i dont want change anything, no other engine, no other color...
May be, in winter 14-15 a little traditional tuning.
Think its a historic Sylva Car. May be, Jeremy built its himself.
So, have a dream: A visit at Dorset Steam Fair with Fury on Trailer behind my AEC Matador 0853 Replika, built by myself.

Ok, some pictures:

Can anybody tell something about history of this Fury?
Salesperson told me, its the prototype. The first ever built?
Did Jeremy built this Fury himself?
Wich hardtop is it? Never seen before in Internet.
Metal edge of wheel on which tire is placed, have aluminium. May be the german TÜV has forbidden the original wheels with spokes.
Chance to change them like foto on magazine? There is just now no problem with TÜV because car has historic registration.
But have no idea where to buy or which i need.

at last, sorry my terrible english, understanding answers will be a problem ;)

kind regards
Tom

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: early Sylva Fury in Germany

Postby jeffw » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:32 pm

Welcome to the Forum Tom, you have a lovely car. I keep looking at the pictures trying to see what everything does, interesting that you have a rear exhaust which exits the car the other side to the exhaust on the engine, where does the exhaust run? What is the large fan near the oil cooler?

isleman
Name: Bernd Enders

Postby isleman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:22 am

This is my first post here too, I will introduce myself later. Just registered to give another german guy answers :D

Tom, to answers some of your questions the scan of the article is helpful. It is a bit hard to read but i think that the second sentence says he has finished his third (or first) demonstration car. If you have the original version then have a look at this position and you`ll know whether you have the first or the third.
In both cases it was build in Jeremeys factory. He once told me (per mail) that he has had 10 to 20 employees then so most likely he was at least part of the construction team.
No ideas about the hardtop.
About the wheels and the historical number plate remember that the Fury was introduces in 1991 and a car has to be at least 30 years old for that. Sometimes the German DVLA is a bit confused with the english age relatd plate which is bases on the age of the car where the parts came from.

Tom, im zweiten Satz des Artikels steht, dass dies der erste (first) oder dritte (third) Vorführer ist. Das ist auf dem Scan nicht ganz einfach zu sehen. Ich hatte aus einem anderen Grund mal Kontakt zu Jeremy hierbei hat er mir mitgeteilt, dass er damals 10-20 Angestellte hat. Wahrscheinlich war er aber bei dem Bau des Vorführers zumindest beteidigt.
Der Fury wurde 1991 herausgebracht, bedenke, dass ein H Kennzeichen erst ab 30 Jahren geht. In England gibt es die Möglichkeit Kitcars auf das Alter der Spenderfahrzeuge zuzulassen wenn eine bestimmte Anzahl von Komponenten übernommen wird. Dies solltest du im Hinterkopf haben wenn du wegen der Räder irgendwo anfragst.

Regards,
Bernd from the lower Rhine region in Germany

micha
Name: Micha mertens

Postby micha » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:19 pm

hallo,

deine sylva ist anhand der chassisnummer die nummer 63 aus dem jahr 1992.

somit ist die h-zulassung halt naja..... das auto ist sachlich betrachtet in keinem belang wirklich historisch....das erstzulassungsdatum entsprang dem triumph spenderfahrzeug...was in Deutschland zwar "irgendwie" manchmal als historisch so durchn tüv durchrutscht...offiziell gesehen wäre es nichts mit dem H.

der erste fury kam laut wikipedia 1991 raus.

by the way: das ist die erste sylva die ich mit dem motor sehe. denke daher nicht dass es ein werksbau ist, da jeremy eher fiat twincam motoren favorisierte und vom aufbau es eher wie ein home-made kit ausschaut.

in der which-kit zeitschrift schaut es aus wie wenn dein fury aufm titel, aber ein anderes fahrzeug im bericht abgebildet / beschrieben ist. man kann den scan leider aum lesen.

ob jeremy da weiter helfen kann ist fraglich...wir haben ihn mal besucht und einen seiner ersten striker gekauft (er stand als halter im V5c) und ihn wegen unseren sylvas was gefragt....so richtig erinnern konnte bzw.mochte er sich nicht. kam mir so rüber wie wenn er sagen wollte: das war einmal, was interessiert mich meine vergangenheit, die fahrzeuge gibts nicht mehr, aktuelle projekte haben vorrang.

bitte auch nicht vergessen: wir reden hier von kitcars...das sind nun mal gebrauchsfahrzeuge / fun fahrzeuge, ohne wirklich historischen wert oder bedeutung.

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Postby dopdog » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:33 pm

I do not think you can say that this was not a factory fitted engine just because Jeremy liked other engines! if it was a customer built car then he would have fitted what ever the customer wanted, I remember he did an XE engine spec for me in my first striker :D

it is an interesting car and make sure you just drive and enjoy it.

micha

Postby micha » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:49 pm

dopdog wrote:I do not think you can say that this was not a factory fitted engine just because Jeremy liked other engines! if it was a customer built car then he would have fitted what ever the customer wanted, I remember he did an XE engine spec for me in my first striker :D

it is an interesting car and make sure you just drive and enjoy it.

this might be true...but the enbginebay looks more as a homebuilt car than something from the factory.
i have owned certain factory built kitcars. the majority had been worse than homebuilt ones.

anyway..i dont know how "good" those early cars came from the "factory" nor how high the level of built-quality was in that days.

micha

Postby micha » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:40 am

reading that kitcar magazine again i must confirm that the car left the factory with that triumph engine.

it is also clearly stated that this car is NOT the prototype: "on the fury, things have improved over the originl prototype..."

back to the engine, this was written in the magazine:

it was installed in jeremy´s old clubman racer before and has been seriously tweakend for the purpose. it was damm quick. but jeremy had endless problems with overheating and subsequent blown headgaskets. so for the fury jeremy de-tuned it, amongst other things, lowering the compression ratio.

jeremy was pretty disapointed with it , feeling it unrefined, lacking of character, compared to his previous fiat twincam powered demo-car
and the reporter from the kitcar magazine began to see what jeremy meant when pusing on a little. here the comment:

"the 2l unti seams run out of puff and behaves more like a 1600OHV enigne with a single carb -- very disapointing. oilpressure wasnt that confidence inspiring, either, and jeremy, by now utterly dejected with the damm thing, has probably consigned it to the dump"

that might be also the reason why the car was finally sold.

was there another british owner or did it went directly to germany?
Last edited by micha on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Postby dopdog » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks for the information I bet the new owner is really pleased you looked into this for him!!!! :roll:

micha

Postby micha » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:29 pm

??

the new owner knows all those facts as they are written in that kitcar magazine. i think he owns this magazine...

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:39 pm

dopdog wrote:Thanks for the information I bet the new owner is really pleased you looked into this for him!!!! :roll:

lol

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”