Sprint Newbie

For any motorsport activities
jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Sprint Newbie

Postby jeffw » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:55 pm

So I have taken the plunge....new shiny non-race Nat B license in front of me and applications to join Tunbridge Well Motor Club & Sevenoaks & District winging their way in the post :)

Boots & Gloves purchased....Suit arrived but was too small (or I'm too big which is closer to the truth) and replacement required. New Arai GP-6S purchased and sent off to be sprayed at Ultimate Airbrush (shocking waste of money I now but I love my Arai bike helmet which was sprayed by Richard Carmen at Ultimate Airbrush and I can't stand white helmets).

The only thing left is to sort out the car (!). Aiming to enter the road going catergory for kits over 1700cc (Phoenix with 2lt Zetec on Jenvys and Piper Cams). Fully expect to come last on the first few sprints but will be fun :)

rscmb7
Name: Roger Slater

Re: Sprint Newbie

Postby rscmb7 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:08 am

Best of luck. I'm also trying sprinting for the first time but got pushed into the non-roadgoing class due to six speed sequential box and no reverse. This class seems to need so much more doing to the car than the road-going, so think you probably made the right decision. Hope you have fun. Roger

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:39 am

Good luck to you as well :)

leemulligan
Name: Lee Mulligan

Postby leemulligan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:23 am

Good luck, I'm Sure you will love it.

I did my first sprint last may at StEval near Newquay.

Its a 3 lap sprint.

Sat on the start i was bricking it. 1st lap i didnt know where i was going (despite walking the course), 2nd lap the world changed completely, nerves vanished and it was time to fly..

The buzz is amazing and I managed to do 6 sprints, coming 3rd in class as a best.

It has to be recommended, and if you have half the fun i did youll be an addict!

All the best

Lee

Fizzer

Postby Fizzer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Good luck!
I wish I had the funds :)
Live Axle Fisher Fury: 2lt Blacktop Zetec, Newman cams, Tiger shallow sump, lightened flywheel, grumbly webers, willwood calipers + disk kit.

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:53 pm

Good luck Jeff -- you'll have a great time. Very friendly sport; feel free to ask advice or loan of tools (or even spares) from any fellow competitor -- you're extremely unlikely to be turned down.

David
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:43 pm

So first event yesterday, great fun. North Weald if very bumpy and not really suited to kit cars but came 17th overall (out of 50 or so) and 4th in class (within 1 sec of the 2nd & 3rd guys).

Going for it off the line :)

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:31 pm

Jeff

Great result, and great that you enjoyed it.

With all respect to North Weald, pretty much any other circuit is less bumpy, cleaner, and more interesting. You should enjoy the next one even more.

David
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:05 pm

Thanks David, next event looks like Crystal Palace, which will be interesting :)

Return to “Motorsport”