Lockdown projects

The forum for talking about anything, but generally not about JP cars
pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Re: Lockdown projects

Postby pigeondave » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:09 pm

I've got as far as wiring up all the sockets and have the garage fusebox on the wall.

Just thought I'd post an update.

Electricity frightens the life out of me. Might wire it all together and leave the feed for a professional. Or have one of the folks standing by with a lump of rubber hose should the final connection go wrong :lol:

rotors7
Name: Jeff R

Postby rotors7 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:42 am

That's certainly a good project, there's nothing like an electrified garage to inspire a bit of creativity !

pigeondave

Postby pigeondave » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:53 pm

It went fairly well this weekend.
From having one double to 7 double sockets, but lost the lights in the battle.

The lights were wired into the single 20amp fuse which also did the socket.

I have installed a new garage consumer unit with an RCB and MCB's. The feed is only 2.5mm so way under spec.
The new ring main @2.5mm (although the internet says you cant call it a ring main) is wired to the 16amp MCB.

I was going to stick the lights on to the 6amp MCB but the wire out the old fuse box wasn't long enough to reach the new.
I thought it would be a simple case of undo the switch and swap it for a longer length.

I was wrong, some idiot pulled the wires tight in the switch so that you can move the cover plate far enough away to undo the terminals.
I'm going to change the switch for one which matches the double sockets.

Before anyone starts, the doubles are more for convenience, I know I cant run heaters and kettles off all 7 of them.

Next up, work out the length to them main unit from the shed and see if I need 10mm²SWA or 16mm²SWA cable.
That way I'll be able to run all those kettles and heaters.

rotors7

Postby rotors7 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:38 pm

Your thread has had me sat in my garage looking at all the ways I could improve things. I'm in need of much better lighting and a good 'ring' main circuit of sockets for better accessibility.
I'm several weeks into re doing my rotary Striker after over a decade of sorns. It's a pain without proper lighting.

pigeondave

Postby pigeondave » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:43 pm

rotors7 wrote: It's a pain without proper lighting.

I've been looking for lighting above the bench, seems like a lot of the YouTube folk use those led panel lights. I'm thinking of going the same route, and keeping the tubes but relocating them to 1/4 points across the ceiling, rather than up against the ceiling wall junction.

It's a way of me putting off the proper jobs of:
  • repack exhaust can
  • oil change
  • drum brake adjust (someone might have done a few miles on tour with the hand brake on)
  • tighten front hub bolts
  • pump out old fuel
  • book MOT

peter030371
Name: Peter Smith

Postby peter030371 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:44 am

My garage from a couple of years ago when first built. It shows 3 of 4 600mm x 600mm LED panels surface mounted. They are 40w panels from LED Hut. Its very good but wish I had 2 more on the lower roof section as well. You really cannot have too much light IMHO :D

White walls and ceilings make a huge difference too and then I spent £500 on decent plastic floor tiles on top of the power floated concrete floor which makes it very comfy to work on. The work bench is solid Beech kitchen worktop type and can support an engine or two :shock:

Things I would do differently if I did it again. More power sockets. I have 2 doubles on each wall but the washing machine, tumble dryer, fridge and freezer take up all the sockets on the work bench! Radio, vacuum cleaner, security camera, tool charger, trickle charger take up another 5 which leave 3 spare sockets all on one wall behind the car! The garage door needs to be insulated, for reasons I now can't remember the builder insisted this one would be fine...it is not :oops: Several things the builders project manager questioned (like the power floated floor and painted walls and ceiling) are important and in the grand scheme of things cost bugger all more at the time but they kept trying to cut corners in the garage as it was 'just a garage' :evil:

As it is today!

Editor of 'The Proper Job'

rotors7

Postby rotors7 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:24 pm

You have serious issues within your garage, you need the laundry machinery exterminator !
He works by darkness and reinstalls these storage deleting machines to the house.
You'll be in the clear and nothing can be traced back to you.

:)

pigeondave

Postby pigeondave » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:13 am

rotors7 wrote:You have serious issues within your garage, you need the laundry machinery exterminator !
He works by darkness and reinstalls these storage deleting machines to the house.
You'll be in the clear and nothing can be traced back to you.

:)

There could be "The Polish Lady" in the house.

I've heard that the laundry machinery exterminator is reluctant to challenge the powers of "The Polish Lady".
:lol: :lol:

rotors7

Postby rotors7 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:36 am

The laundry machinery exterminator's kryptonite !

Best leave them where they are :)

Your car looks great, I am in the process of wiring up a set of those headlights, with any luck they'll pass an mot okay.

Return to “The Local”