Name: Roger Hammond

Riot help please

Postby rdodger » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:54 pm

Hi all

Today I took delivery of a Riot SE 1.6

Capri front uprights
Fiesta front uprights upside down on the rear
Floor mount bias pedal box Mc .70 & .75

Overall it looks like a good car but the brakes are hugely over specced with Cosworth 4x4 discs front & rear with massive Brembo calipers on the front. The brakes work well enough but the pedal is long and quite soft. I figure this is due to a too small master cylinder for the size of the caliper.

I clearly don't need such big brakes in such a small car. They must weigh as much as me! I'm thinking of going for the hispec 245mm kit from Burton Power on the front https://www.burtonpower.com/hispec-4-po ... sk04e.html

On the rear there are spacers on the calipers again with massive Cosworth discs. I want to get rid of the spacers and go to standard discs.

Can anyone tell me what discs are used as standard on the rear?
What rear calipers are used as standard?
What are the ball joints used on the rear upright?

Finally it got quite hot on a 30 min drive when pushing on but cooled down when cruising. Are there any known issues using the Sigma in the middle? It has a Radtec rad so I wouldn't imagine it's that. Coolant looks fresh. Engine was new when built and has done 9000 miles.

Thanks Rog

rdodger

Re: Riot help please

Postby rdodger » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:22 pm

Quick update.

The hot running was a bad sensor, so not hot at all. :oops:

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:05 pm

Hi-Spec calipers did have a bit of a reputation for sticking (and leaking), though that was a while ago and might be sorted now though. RallyDesign do Willwood kits as an alternative.

rdodger

Postby rdodger » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:27 am

Hi Adi

Yes I remember the talk about Hispec. I think I am going with the Wilwood kit on the front and maybe eventually on the rear. I am trying to work out how to run 13" wheels so it will probably be part of that.

pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Postby pigeondave » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:25 pm

adithorp wrote:Hi-Spec calipers did have a bit of a reputation for sticking (and leaking), though that was a while ago and might be sorted now though. RallyDesign do Willwood kits as an alternative.

From what I've read on LCB, I think Hi-Spec have managed to sort that random number generator, which was lurking in their CNC machine.

Like Adi said, I'd go (and did) Wilwood.

rdodger

Postby rdodger » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:37 pm

Thanks Dave.
I am going with the Wilwoods. I used them before on my Thruxton build with no issues.

peter030371
Name: Peter Smith

Postby peter030371 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:19 pm

I have hi-spec on the back with the handbrake option and they are a VERY tight fit under Team Dynamic 13" wheels. I have some ford 13" rims that won't fit over them and a set of 14" Revolutions that also won't fit over them.

From what others have said the only options for 13" wheels that seem to fit are Team Dynamics (now out of production), Compomotive CXR and some from Force Racing.

The hi-spec handbrake is just enough to get through the MOT (as long as the MOT tester is not to fussy) and if I could see an easy way to build in a prop lock I would take them off. I only ever use the handbrake once a year for the MOT so they will just about do for now.

I believe the Wilwood handbrake option is just as useless (if not more so) and that was from the mouth of the Wilwood sales guy that flew over to help Rally Design at the Stonleigh show a few years ago :o
Editor of 'The Proper Job'

pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Postby pigeondave » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:08 pm

If you're looking at Force Racing wheels, I remember them priding themselves on being able to fit massive discs with wilwoods under their rims.
It was on their FB page years ago (not been on FB) for about 4-5 years now.

Regarding the unless handbrake issue on wilwoods, I think its a leverage issue. I'm not sure if @adithorp managed to solve it with his build. I remember him saying that he added a little lever to the handbrake so the ratio would be more favourable.

I got a rear disc conversion to go on the English axle, but life is getting in the way. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :lol:

rdodger

Postby rdodger » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:13 pm

Force racing wheels would be great but a little beyond me at the moment at a grand for 4.

I wasn't aware Pro Race 1.2 were out of production. :(

I have used the Powerlite handbrake calipers before on my Thruxton build. I spoke to Ady then about leverage. My method was to move the pivot point on the handbrake lever which worked quite well. Certainly enough to pass IVA and subsequent MOT's.

I'm guessing Caterham 13" 8 spokes wheels will fit as they were made by Rimstock (Team Dynamics)

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:09 pm

Yes, I've got a relay lever in my tunnel that gives about a x4 or x5 advantage.

https://flic.kr/p/2kJM6wV

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”