Sylva Leader

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
RedStar
Name: Karl Davies

Re: Sylva Leader

Postby RedStar » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:30 am

My Star had a similar wiring technique used by the previous owner/builder.....I've removed the whole lot and starting again.

At least your wiring has labels! Try all the same colour and no identification.
Sylva Star 2L Fiat Twincam with Twin Weber 40 DCOE
Currently being restored after 10 years standing

Carl55
Name: Carl Dorling

Postby Carl55 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:24 pm

That’s what I thought, I had a large folder of paperwork that came with the car and discovered five different drawings for the loom and the wiring did not match any of them! That’s the standard of rebuilding that the car suffers from nothing terminal but it needs stripping back to basics , so I have removed all the carpet and glued on sound proofing the vinyl and a thing else that is just for show as you can see it revealed the rust have you suffered anything similar

RedStar

Postby RedStar » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:34 pm

Only one area - driver side just in front of rear wheel there is a diagonal tube.....this had rusted through only on the bottom face about half way along.

Cut out all the rust and had new steel welded around the affected area. This way I didn't cut the tube right through and potentially affect the chassis geometry.

Strange thing is the passenger side had no such issue. To be fair to the previous owner/builder it was only visible with the rear tub off.

My Star has never had carpet since it was built so no other hidden nasties for me luckily!

I've treated all the chassis to rust prevention primer and paint on the outside and got into the chassis with cavity protection wherever I could without introducing new holes.

I thoroughly recommend the corrosion treatments from Bilt Hamber.

Carl55

Postby Carl55 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:32 pm

Sounds good I’m not sure whether to sell or not

Carl55

Postby Carl55 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:33 pm

I will keep adding pictures to my flicker photostream that hopefully may be of help .

RedStar

Postby RedStar » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:52 pm

Fix it! Something to do while stuck in.

Plus you'll have a sorted car after that you made possible.

Carl55

Postby Carl55 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:01 am

Yes I think you’re right it’s not that bad and once the issues are sorted it should be a fun car , what’s yours like to drive as I’ve only driven mine a short distance on the trading estate. I have managed to get the doors fitting ok plus I’ve added some aluminium angle on the inside to help keep the water out you can see it on the photostream

RedStar

Postby RedStar » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:12 pm

What's mine like to drive? I don't know I've not gotten it road worthy yet....I'm only a few years in!

Just saw the door strips you added - good idea. If you were to paint hem black you might not even notice them (if you wanted them hidden).

I did notice that your door hinges are bolted to the outer face of the windscreen frame....not sure which is correct but mine are bolted to the inside face (next to the glass). This would bring the door in tighter to the frame if you were to change yours over.

Carl55

Postby Carl55 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:26 am

Yes I see my car came with the doors having been ripped off at some stage and the hinges were toast I had problems replacing them so I fitted some loose pin hinges as a fix but they are slightly larger not very pleasing to the eye but functional. I’m hoping that the door strips will stop most of the water coming in the car my doors have seen better days hopefully when we come out of lockdown I will go and visit the chap who has the moulds and a few remaining parts for the leader he also has the jigs and build rights plus all the dimension information.

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”