Seat fitting safely

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Jester
Name: Anthony

Seat fitting safely

Postby Jester » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:31 pm

On my Tango Jester under the seat runner I was surprised to find strips of Alloy that where shaped to the floor pan

The alloy is about 8mm in thickness is this strong/thick enough to take a load if needed to in a crash

Or would the bolts just rip right though the alloy making the seats like ejector seats

Have tried to get some steel the same thickness shapped but there machine cant shape to that thickness

I want to use Tango on track days so don't what any problems getting it checked over at the circuit

peter030371
Name: Peter Smith

Re: Seat fitting safely

Postby peter030371 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:08 pm

Have you any pictures?
Editor of 'The Proper Job'

pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Postby pigeondave » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:43 pm

Wouldn't your harness strap you and the seat to the floor?

Jester

Postby Jester » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:25 pm

peter030371 wrote:Have you any pictures?

Pictures of the Alloys below

Jester

Postby Jester » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:30 pm

pigeondave wrote:Wouldn't your harness strap you and the seat to the floor?

I am using a standard seat belts set up that is the car first to get it back on the road/ Mot again for a bit then go the harness route after a bit

So the seats will move if not bolted down safely

pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Postby pigeondave » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:21 am

hmmm
looks think enough but if in doubt and for the price. I would going to ToolStation/Screwfix/Wickes and getting a galvanised mild steel restraint strap 30x5 and cutting it down to length.

Are the fixings tapped into the ally?

Jester

Postby Jester » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:59 am

Are the fixings tapped into the ally?[/quote]

Tapped ???

Just hole's with the bolt going though

This How I found them when I lifted the seats out

Boondougal
Name: Sam Carney

Postby Boondougal » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:25 pm

Timely topic.. I have just got my car pretty high of the ground to be able to do some work on her more comfortably and after going underneath to take the exhaust off I have noticed how the seat bolts simply stick through the floor and have a nut on the underside - the clear issue being that the floor panel looks pretty deformed from the bolt being tightened up.

I can't believe that the seats are secured only to the ally panel but it has me concerned enough for it to be yet another element that I'm going to "un build" in order to give my self confidence that its done right.

I didn't build this car.. but I've "unbuilt" so much of it to date that I'm being to wish I had just started from a fresh!

I am beginning to wonder if I prefer taking it to bit sand putting it back together more than I do driving it... given thats all I have been able to do since owning it for 2 years!!

Jester

Postby Jester » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:51 am

Boondougal wrote:Timely topic.. I have just got my car pretty high of the ground to be able to do some work on her more comfortably and after going underneath to take the exhaust off I have noticed how the seat bolts simply stick through the floor and have a nut on the underside - the clear issue being that the floor panel looks pretty deformed from the bolt being tightened up.

I can't believe that the seats are secured only to the ally panel but it has me concerned enough for it to be yet another element that I'm going to "un build" in order to give my self confidence that its done right.

I didn't build this car.. but I've "unbuilt" so much of it to date that I'm being to wish I had just started from a fresh!

I am beginning to wonder if I prefer taking it to bit sand putting it back together more than I do driving it... given thats all I have been able to do since owning it for 2 years!!

Have had Tango about a year now was hoping to have it done for stoneleigh last year that never happened Lol

Still hoping this year ( If the show goes ahead at all )

Well at least mine had large washers to spread the load. So not to damage the floor panels to much

Boondougal
Name: Sam Carney

Postby Boondougal » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:41 am

Jester wrote: Have had Tango about a year now was hoping to have it done for stoneleigh last year that never happened Lol

Still hoping this year ( If the show goes ahead at all )

Well at least mine had large washers to spread the load. So not to damage the floor panels to much

So I had a little fettle around and the situation seems better than I thought. The passenger side had no washers on the underside but the drivers side does have some significant washers present.

I unbolted the passenger side sand despite being able to remove the bolts I was not able at all to remove the seat - I have no idea what's holding it in but I can't get it out.

I'm going to add a cross member brace on the underside to span the space and tie it into the frame.

If anything this isolation thing will mean I'll be at home every night and should be able to get an hour in every day... which will make a huge a difference to progress for me.

:-)

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”