Possible zetec blacktop failure, options?

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Terror Factor
Name: Jasper

Possible zetec blacktop failure, options?

Postby Terror Factor » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:27 pm

Hi all,

I only made an introduction post last week, but here I am again. I bought a Mojo with a blacktop zetec, but the engine overheated badly, about 10 miles from Dover. Managed to get it to the port, but was unable to start the car again, and had a local shop recover it to have a look.

I am waiting on their verdict, but I suspect there's a good chance of terminal failure, so I could be looking at other engines sooner rather than later.

The most obvious upgrade would be an ST170 engine, but would my ITB's and Emerald ECU work on that? In my mind, the perfect engine swap for pretty much anything 4 cyl would be a honda K20/24. This would of course be a completely different ballgame, and the costs would get too high for something that I bought to see if I liked it and could register it.

Anyway that could give advise or point me in the right direction? Or knows other interesting options?

This was not how I imagined my first experience would go, hopefully the second effort works out better :)

pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Re: Possible zetec blacktop failure, options?

Postby pigeondave » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:17 pm

To keep costs down I'd stick with something similar.

So keep it Ford. I'm not sure if the ST170 has the same bell housing bolt pattern.

A lot of the Southern Kit Car Club people use Snodhurst Garage in Kent. Might be worth a call to see if they could get you out of a sticky situation.

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:14 pm

Speak to Jay or Dick at Snodhurst, they will get it sorted for you.

kdempsie
Name: Keith Dempsie

Postby kdempsie » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi Terror Factor,

Did you manage to get some help with your Mojo problem?

Which Mojo did you buy?

Keith.

Terror Factor

Postby Terror Factor » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:47 pm

Hi guys, sorry for the late response, but I was out of the country.
I got the car home. The problem was a broken alternator bracket, which caused too much slack on the drive belt, which caused the waterpump to not turn around.

The car has some tuning issues however, it runs really bad and doesn't start very well either. I'm asking around a bit to see if I can find a more local garage. The aftermarket ECU's always make it a bit harder to get it diagnosed.

I bought the green one in Aberdeen: https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-cars/ki ... 1354266753

I'm thinking of looking for some sort of base map for the emerald m3dk. It might be good to start clean.
It might just be an o2 sensor or something like that. It doesn't make sense that it runs this bad as it was used by multiple owners before.

kdempsie
Name: Keith Dempsie

Postby kdempsie » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:09 am

Hi Jasper,

I wondered if it was that car, I built it originally and used it for about 6 years.

It didn't have an O2 sensor originally but of course it could now. Balancing the throttle bodies made a big difference to how it ran when I had it, I also had an issue with air leaks in the throttle bodies after a few years and that made it run badly.

If I can help with other questions please let me know.

Regards,

Keith.

Terror Factor

Postby Terror Factor » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:36 pm

I'll try to not bury you with questions :D

So first job will be checking the throttle bodies. Thank you for pointing me in a direction :)

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”