Sylva Star - Project, some help needed

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
oldstar
Name: Paul irvine

Re: Sylva Star - Project, some help needed

Postby oldstar » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:01 am

Hi the Yellow Star is mine, that photo was a long time ago I think Naxos Greece in 1991, that year it was running 205-60-13 Dunlop tyres.
if the fronts look smaller at some point either 91 or 92 it was running yokohama A008's on the front.

Paul

bobob
Name: Toby Barrell

Postby bobob » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:14 am

So it’s been a little while, and although I haven’t made much progress over summer due to school holidays et cetera, I did manage to fit a new water pump, starter, alternator, and then a splash of paint on the block and frame, and finally tune the carbs so it’s now running beautifully. I am going to fit a header tank along with a new radiator at some point, and I think I’m going to go for a digital dash rather than old style instruments.

I’m still unsure what colour to go with, I was thinking keeping the British racing green with a Lotus style yellow stripe to match the wheels. Any suggestions? Here’s a quick mock up!

I’m also unsure whether to change the square headlamps for round ones, like the photo attached, thoughts? Half of me wants to keep it original, but the other half of me prefers the more period style round lamps...... dilemma!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bobob on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobob

Postby bobob » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:19 am

Engine paint...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bobob

Postby bobob » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:39 am

I also made the silly mistake of letting my mechanic friend have the first drive after we managed to get it started .......

https://youtu.be/HmYm9yxZfqw

RedStar
Name: Karl Davies

Postby RedStar » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:59 pm

Loving the BRG with yellow stripes!

Another option with the headlights could be to add some sort of cover as shown on this Leader:

http://www.classic-kitcars.com/22/116/116picgallery.htm

I think if you change the front headlights to round its a "round peg in a square hole" and doesn't look quite right (to me - I like the rectangular headlights) - maybe also changing the rear lights to a round style would help as it would be a common theme/design.
Sylva Star 2L Fiat Twincam with Twin Weber 40 DCOE
Currently being restored after 10 years standing

bobob

Postby bobob » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:35 pm

Oddly enough that particular car is for sale at the moment, on eBay. I can see they have gone for round headlights behind those covers, which doesn’t look too bad does it.

I think I will stick with the green and yellow, it seems to fit the style.

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”