Name: adrian thorp

Re: Fury Chassis setup 'Wandering'

Postby adithorp » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:09 pm

Is that a problem? :? My cars often going sideway in the corners :twisted:

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:25 pm

pigeondave wrote:Have a fiddle with the shocks.

I have protec's they are set on the mid range of the adjustment. The car came out of the factory with them wound up to about what you said.
The fronts are on zero or 1 click the rears are on about 3 i think.

While on tour i was no way confident with the car, one of the fellow tourers said that the back of my car was skipping sideways in the corners. I adjusted the clicks and it made the car a lot more pliable and fun to drive

Protech shocks actually have a very narrow working range, a few clicks one way or another. Also don't forget that there maybe 9 clicks on the adjuster but you need to know which of the 3 ranges of 9 you are using, low, medium or high.

pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Postby pigeondave » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:42 am

jeffw wrote: but you need to know which of the 3 ranges of 9 you are using, low, medium or high.

A good point Jeff. I was at the bottom of the middle range.
Im told that you can adjust so that you straddle ranges but that just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:52 am

Tim... Out of interest what front uprights do you have. My issue with bump steer is on Sierra uprights.

Also if you do alter the front camber, remember it will alter toe (rear camber doesn't affect toe). Looking at my notes, I found on mine...
Altering 1turn camber at the front gave 0.75deg camber change AND (with both sides adjusted) altered toe by 1deg (more neg camber gives toe-out).
1 turn on the track rod ends (1/2 each side) gives 1deg toe change.
At the rear 1turn on the camber adjuster gives 1/4deg camber change (assuming your on 1/2"unf adjuster).
It's not a substitute for a proper set up but handy for making quick changes.

Another thing worth checking because it can cause wierd suspension feel; If you've got metalastic bushes, did you tighten the pinch bolts with the suspension at ride height? (ie, weight on the wheels)

tims31
Name: Martin

Postby tims31 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:09 pm

Adi,

I do have the Sierra uprights.

I managed to move the rockers forward another spacer (4 front 1 rear) the other day and took it out again but doesn't appear to have made any difference to the wandering or handling. The next step will be to check the toe in again as it was set for 0.5mm toe in, I think a little more toe in may help.

When I had mine setup it did give about 0.75 degrees camber change per turn of the ball joint.

I will also check the shocks again but when I first went out I had the shocks on three clicks and it felt way too soft and wollowing

I am trying one step at a time at the moment and then taking it out to see how things go. At work this weekend so will try again later on next week when off and let you know how things go.

tims31

Postby tims31 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:41 am

Well I managed to get out yesterday after we finally had some dry weather and with the Castor at around 7degrees positve it was way too pointy and at one point when I swerved to avoid hitting a pigeon the back almost came round on me so I have moved that back down to 4 degrees. Being a zetec rather than a bike engine will probably make quite a difference on that front.

When looking at the rear I was hoping to increase the camber slightly but the adjusters on mine are down to the limit on thread although there is still about 40 mm of bar remaining. I may have to thread that down to give me some more adjustment.

Once I have a little more camber on I will also adjust the toe in on the rear as that is still at zero and I think will be better with say 0.5 deg toe in.

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:21 am

I suggest you actually have it set-up by someone who had experience of kitcars.

tims31

Postby tims31 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:14 pm

I did, I took it to TSR who are based near me as I had heard good reports about them for Locust chassis but although very knowledgeable the work they carried out doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Can anyone suggest someone not too far from South Lincolnshire/Cambridgeshire/Norfork sort of area?

You are right it does need someone with experience to set it up properly but would like some suggestions

peter030371
Name: Peter Smith

Postby peter030371 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:04 pm

tims31 wrote:Can anyone suggest someone not too far from South Lincolnshire/Cambridgeshire/Norfork sort of area?

What about AB Performance? Only ever had dealings myself for some brake parts but they certainly have a good reputation and Geometry setup is a listed service on the website.
Editor of 'The Proper Job'

tims31

Postby tims31 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:10 pm

Yeah, that may do. I'll give them a call and see what they think and if they can sort it out. It does need sorting as at the moment it is very unnerving once above 50mph

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”