First Start

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
peter030371
Name: Peter Smith

First Start

Postby peter030371 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:18 am

After a 3+ year build finally got around to starting her this weekend and she fired up with no real issues :)

https://youtu.be/VaAZV42ZNVc

Clutch was stuck which took a bit of head scratching to identify and solve (the clutch setup had never been proven so we didn't know if it worked or not!) but once sorted she went up and down the road just fine ;)

Few jobs still to do and a small 'snag list' to sort then book her in for a rolling road session followed by a geometry check and then we will be on the road this summer :D
Editor of 'The Proper Job'

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: First Start

Postby jeffw » Mon May 08, 2017 9:57 am

Promises, promises

peter030371

Postby peter030371 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:54 am

jeffw wrote:Promises, promises

You doubt me? I can't see why :lol:

Thanks for MAP3000......it won't even connect to my ECU! MAP4000 connects every time (using the 'Send New Calibration' command) and the setup file I have has all the telemetry setup up in it including the Telemerty UART and Tele1 chan set to 'on'.

Going to talk to Omex and/or Race Technology later, from what I can see it should now work. Having said that thinking about it on the drive into work today and the new serial lead is the only bit of the loom I haven't pre-tested so its a possibility I have the Rx/Tx transposed. If it is that its 2 minutes job to swap them over ;)

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon May 08, 2017 1:31 pm

You have the Race Technology Serial ECU lead?

peter030371

Postby peter030371 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:53 pm

jeffw wrote:You have the Race Technology Serial ECU lead?

Yes I do have it in a box on the workbench not being used...I followed the wiring instructions for the serial port and built my own lead into the loom of the car. Everything else works but I may have got my Rx/Tx around the wrong way :o

I am going to dig the supplied lead out and just test the setup with that one evening this week, if my Rx/Tx is around the wrong way then its only a couple of minutes to swap it over.

From what I can tell it seems that everything else on the complete loom has worked first go which is always pleasing :D

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Mon May 08, 2017 2:31 pm

Looking and sounding great. Does this mean I need to get booked on the CKC Blyton day?

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon May 08, 2017 4:21 pm

Just FYI, the ECU lead has a firmware revision and reflash utlility so the chances of it being just RS232 is remote (why would you buy the ECU lead if that was the case). Happy to be proved wrong...

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon May 08, 2017 4:25 pm

Load the .sts file from the CD supplied with the ECU Serial Interface to automatically load
the correct channel settings, or select the channels manually. "

"If your OMEX 710 ECU is running version 0.89 firmware or later your will need
different firmware on your Race Technology ECU Serial Adapter. Please specify this
when ordering or contact Race Technology if you require the alternative firmware for
your ECU Serial Adapter. "

I think you will find it is a little more than RX/TX being the wrong way round.

peter030371

Postby peter030371 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:04 pm

jeffw wrote:Just FYI, the ECU lead has a firmware revision and reflash utlility so the chances of it being just RS232 is remote (why would you buy the ECU lead if that was the case). Happy to be proved wrong...

oh, you mean that lead. Don't need it now, had one but sold it off ;) for an extra £90 you can now connect the ECU serial lead direct to the Dash2Pro serial ports (can use either of the 2 ports) which is much neater and does away with the stupid 'soap on a rope' :D

I have 0.70D firmware in the Omex which is correct for the 600 with telemetry output. I have the ECU licence in the Dash2Pro. I have the .sts file and a .cal file that now has the .sts settings in it....it should work! I can load the .cal file and I know that works as the engine runs and the ECU outputs live data to MAP4000...its just not getting through to the Dash or the dash doesn't understand it.

I will get it working but its all a bit of a cludge on the Omex software but then I knew that when I got it and none of the other aftermarket ECU seem much better :lol:

peter030371

Postby peter030371 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:05 pm

adithorp wrote:Looking and sounding great. Does this mean I need to get booked on the CKC Blyton day?

Once I have it rolling roaded then we will book the Blyton day :D

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”