Phoenix Hill Climb Project

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
martin
Name: Martin

Phoenix Hill Climb Project

Postby martin » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:16 pm

For years I have wanted to have a go at hillclimbing/sprinting and thanks to this forum I now have a ZX9R Phoenix and plan to prepare it for competing this season, I am not expecting to be competitive, just to have some fun and enjoy improving the car and my own performance, I will probably let my mate have shared drives so there will also be competition between the pair of us.

When I got the car I noticed it was riding high with all the shock preloads wound up and assumed that it was because the sump hung low, so first job was to put in a shortened sump that I bought off Locostbuilders.
The image below shows the old sump, it is a bit difficult t see because the original aluminium sheet protective cover is hanging down so it looks odd.

Image[/URL]

So today I made an aluminium sump baffle

And then fitted the shortened sump

I am not entirely happy with the shortened sump as it still hangs below the bottom of the car and has a reduced capacity. Before removing the old sump I scribed a line on it so I shall modify this one with an increased capacity.

I also did a few jobs to prepare for the MOT, it had a damaged bottom joint where id had been pinched so I also relieved the bottom of the upright so that it shouldn't happen again.

Hopefully I shall MOT it this week and then I can get on with the preparation, I have new seats ordered and once these are in I can work out the roll bar height so that I can get one fabricated.

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: Phoenix Hill Climb Project

Postby jeffw » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:47 pm

Not jealous of your lift, really I'm not ;)

martin

Postby martin » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:01 pm

jeffw wrote:Not jealous of your lift, really I'm not ;)

And I had to move an E Type and a Rover P5 V8 out of the workshop to get to it!

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:33 pm

Hard life ;)

martin

Postby martin » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Unfortunately they are not mine

martin

Postby martin » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:56 pm

MOT passed today so now to start pulling it apart!

martin

Postby martin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:15 pm

Put the new seats in today, I went for the JK Composites Striker seat for the passenger but, as I am a bit on the large side, went for the N3942 for the driver. I had to reduce the width of the front base and lower sides but nothing drastic. Driving position is now much better and I no longer feel like I am perched on top of the car.

Also did a sound check on the car as I guessed it was a bit loud and it was 115dB at 8,000 rpm so now shopping for a silencer, if anyone has any recommendations please let me know

Martin

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:24 pm

Getting there, what silencer does it run at the moment?

martin

Postby martin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:59 pm

Not sure Jeff, I started taking off the side pod get get access but ran out of time, it looks like one end can be removed so I am hoping that repacking may be possible.

Martin

martin

Postby martin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:59 pm

A few more jobs done today, got the silencer apart ready for repacking, the packing was compacted and heavily built up with carbon so hopefully new packing will get the noise level down, it is fitted with a cat so not a lot of silencer.

I also cut the back out, as per Jeff so that I can start on the roll bar, so much to do and so little time!

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”