New member, buying a Riot

Start here if you are new to the forum, and just want to say Hello
Toed64
Name: Alister Monro

New member, buying a Riot

Postby Toed64 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:57 pm

Hello All

Later this month, I'll be buying an early blue and yellow Riot from a gent in Banff, Aberdeenshire...550 miles from my home in Bedfordshire! It's only done 300 miles since the current owner got it through IVA in 2011 and it's been unused for the last couple of years at least. I believe that it was originally built by JP himself.

I would have loved to have driven it back down the East coast of Scotland, but the motorways would have been a grind! I also want to go over it before I would trust it.

I don't yet have my own pics, but here's Peter's Gumtree advert:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-cars/sy ... 1166285490

I was originally thinking about building a bike engined Riot or MEV Rocket, but a just-started Exocet kit came along at a price I couldn't resist. I've had lots of MX5s and I had a track day MX5 heap, so I had lots of good bits to build it with. I stripped it back down and rebuilt it and got it through IVA a couple of years ago. It was fun, but it didn't grab me, it felt too heavy (about 650kg), so I sold it last Summer.

Now I'm all excited again!

I've been reading your threads and learning - thank you.

Alister

peter030371
Name: Peter Smith

Re: New member, buying a Riot

Postby peter030371 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:00 am

Welcome to the forum and to JPSC ownership :)

Think you will find it a lot more nimble than an MX5 based Exocet ;)

A quick google found this picture from what looks like Stonleigh on a shows stand so would backup the story that its a JP car. The dates don't line up and I suspect the IVA might have been done several years earlier than 2011 (not that it matters one bit on a car like this) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sylva_Riot_-_Flickr_-_exfordy_(3).jpg
Editor of 'The Proper Job'

Toed64

Postby Toed64 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:35 pm

Thank you! I am sure that it will be more rewarding to drive than my Exocet - although I would have had no qualms driving the Exocet back down from Banff, if necessary. It feels like a bit of a cheat, buying a pre-built car and a completely unknown quantity too. No doubt, I will feel the need to pull bits off and reassemble.

Yes, that does look like the car. I think I prefer it without the (nod to Chapman) yellow nose.

The seller said that he bought it without IVA and registration. He then struggled to get it though because of smutty emissions. Consequently, he dumped the carbs and fitted a DTA management/injection set-up and a cat. I wonder if the car was only used at shows and perhaps at Cadwell for demos.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:15 pm

Welcome. It looks a nice motor and It def' has a lot of JP touches so could well be one of his builds.

Toed64

Postby Toed64 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:54 pm

adithorp wrote:Welcome. It looks a nice motor and It def' has a lot of JP touches so could well be one of his builds.

Thanks for the welcome. The seller is away - consequently, I'm getting short on sleep waiting for his return from holiday!

Interesting - what are the JP touches?

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:42 pm

Nothing exclusive to JP but... unclutered dash, classic look lights, classic colour with contrasting chassis (often yellow), upholstered/bench seats with contrasting piping (rather than GRP buckets)

At least you'renotmissing the good weather while waiting.

Toed64

Postby Toed64 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 am

I've been surfing around and it seems that he often used bench seats. I was wondering about the lack of lateral support, but the cockpits all look quite snug. I have a Toyota Corolla trackday heap that has base model front seats in it. It was compromised on track until I fitted harnesses. Now the car seems much more controllable!

Actually, it was this car that got me thinking about mid/rear engined cars. I'd been looking at an early Elise with a blown Rover engine and considering fitting the Toyota works, but the owner thought that his dead, algae-covered car, was worth more than I did. Sad, it's been sitting in a stable yard for some years.

I think Toyota models must be off the kit-builders' radar. They shouldn't be. They're supplied as standard with a tough, 190bhp VVT motor that screams like a type R and a quick 6 speed box. There are plenty of good ones advertised for a few hundred quid. Perhaps I'll ask why on the Locost Forum!

Return to “Introductions”