Le Mans Classic

Le Mans ? Laon ? Talk about it here
adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Re: Le Mans Classic

Postby adithorp » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Well as I've done both...

Last years CLM was great. I booked direct with the organisers but you can only book camping if you order 2 or more entrance tickets. Definatly get paddock passes and remember you need period clothing (or smart casual) to get in though. Don't dother with grandstand tickets.
The camping in "Camping bleu" was really bad so don't book that. 5000 people sharing 5 showers meant queing even in the middle of the night. It did mean you got to chat with strangers though and most said, having done the ordinary and now classic races, they'd choose the classic.
I'm hoping to go again but it's less than 2 weeks after retuning from france so might not make it. If I do I'm hoping to blag camping in "camping Rouge" that the triumph clubs block book (got a mate who'samember and goes). It's inside the circuit and much better equiped. If not I'll camp away from the circuit.

I don't think I'll be able to see the tour before. If you do the tour in it's early stages then it'll be more about the atmosphere than the racing. The real action is in the mountains in week 2+3. Find a hill on the route and set up camp. Eat cheese, drink wine, fight for freebies from the "carravan" and wait for the race. It'll pass in seconds after waiting all day but is worth doing. If you can, try and get to the start town and see the sign-on and soak up the atmophere before getting away to your chosen spot. Don't forget the roads will be closed to traffic well ahead (hours) of the race. Seeing a finish can be hit and miss but it's up to you and you might see my mate win!

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Postby petercoll » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Thanks Ade, that's useful.
Who is your mate ?

Pete

adithorp

Postby adithorp » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:52 pm

Given it's flat srinters stages in the first week I was probably refering the Cav'. I've know Brad Wiggins and Mark Cavendish since they were both about 17 and raced with them and most of the other Brits in the peloton on the track and know some more than others. Ben Swift has been kicking my arse on the velodrome since he was 15.

...or did yoou mean the guy with a GT6?

petercoll

Postby petercoll » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:28 pm

Cheers Ade - it was the cyclist I was interested in.
Saw Cav on the Tour of Britain this year.

Pete

adithorp wrote:Given it's flat srinters stages in the first week I was probably refering the Cav'. I've know Brad Wiggins and Mark Cavendish since they were both about 17 and raced with them and most of the other Brits in the peloton on the track and know some more than others. Ben Swift has been kicking my arse on the velodrome since he was 15.

...or did yoou mean the guy with a GT6?

petercoll

Postby petercoll » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:38 pm

Right, definitely doing the Classic in 2012, and plan to get a couple of stages of the Tour in beforehand. I am going to do some investigation of on-site organised costs vs DIY out at Spay.
Anyone else interested ?

Pete

RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Postby RobMsport » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:27 pm

The classic le mans appeals but not into bicycle sport :P

petercoll

Postby petercoll » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:04 pm

On site campsite booked with Travel Destinations. Cheap hotel booked at Abbeville a few days beforehand to watch the Tour leave that town. Just got to get the crossings sorted and I am all set. I am going to meet up with my mate and his E-Type at Le Mans.

Probably got a spare seat somewhere if anyone else interested.

Pete

adithorp

Postby adithorp » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:20 am

I'm still unsure about whether I'll be going. The friend I know in the Triumph club is doubtful for financial reasons and I'm not sure I'll have the cash either after my holiday 2 weeks earlier.
Which camp site have you booked Pete?

petercoll

Postby petercoll » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:42 am

We are in the Travel Destinations private campsite at Hunaudieres.

Pete

Return to “Overseas trips”