Ali sheet - wanted

Post your "For Sale" or "Wanted" ads here. No commercial sales please.
adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Re: Ali sheet - wanted

Postby adithorp » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:44 pm

I started with a 1m wide sheet just long enough to reach from the back edge of the floor to to protrude just past the back of the body. I jacked the car up to measure the max' width accross the diff carrier with the Suspesion in full droop.I cut the sheet to this width as far as the back of the diff carrier and then it flared out to 1m. I creased it at the line of the start of flare/back of carrier to rise toward the rear skirt but to end up approx 2" lower than the skirt. I then cut and rivited side plates and (later) fins to the up turn.

The fixing is with 4 tabs riveted (floor rivets) to the flood rear edge made from 25mm strip. The diffuser slots in above these and held with buttom head screws through the tabs into rivnuts in the diffuser. There's 2 rivnuts in the back coner of the diff carrier and at the rear skirt I have (7?) ally tubes to space the diffuser from the skirt. I've used some plastic threaded bungs from B+Q in them with screws from each end. Once up it's surprisingly ridgid. I have 2 NACA ducts in the rear of the tunnel cover to feed cool air to the diff. The gap between skirt and diffuser allows the air coming down the tunnel to escape.

I did some reading before making it. There are max angles that a diffuser works at before it actually creates lift. Ideal was 15' i seem to remember. 20' max (was 2 years ago so don't hold me to those numbers). Ideally it'd stick out 2" beyond the rear panel, but I didn't want to hit my shins on it every time I walked past. The new one will be 1m all the way and I'll just let the droop flex it down. I didn't like this idea but I've seen it done and it's not a lot of movement and only at full droop.

This is why it's being re-made...

The underside is raw ally. The edges have edge trim just in case I kick it. Top face... carbon sticky back plastic. ;) Does it work? :? I don't know. It firms up the flappy rear skirt and in crappy weather the rear panel doesn't get full of crap... so maybe it does.

adrian

Ian Kelly
Name: Ian Kelly

Postby Ian Kelly » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks Adrian,

Really helpful. I'll leave mine the full width, I did actually measure the droop of the lower arms and it's less than 20mm deflection, so not a big movement. Your method of fixing looks simpler than i was planning, so thanks for saving me a bit of work \ ali!

Still makes me wince when I see your car like that!

Ian

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:39 pm

Don't go to the track unless you're willing to accept the knocks.

I'm stripping it down this weekend to get it repaired next week.

adrian

Return to “For Sale / Wanted”