JPSC Trackday - Llandow - 5th September

For anything related to kitcar events including trackdays, local meets etc
jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: JPSC Trackday - Llandow - 5th September

Postby jeffw » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 am

Glad you enjoyed it Alex....If I had know you wanted out of shape I would have let down the rear tyre as well ;)

Just like to point out that you can't have the Phoenix with a full windscreen...

AlexH
Name: Alex Hayes

Postby AlexH » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:00 am

Thanks Jeff, i still cant get over how well it behaved with the tyre being near flat.

Yep, i knew the phoenix was aero screen only so i`m always going to be buying a compromise. A large enough aero screen should work well as i`m not exactly the tallest of people.

i`ll just play the waiting game once the new garage is finished.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:10 am

The Aeroscreen on mine is a little too high. Legally you have to be able to see over the top and your eye-line needs to be above the screen or you need windscreen wipers. Mine would fail that test, which is fine until the screen is obstructed (mist, rain etc) and you then have to lift yourself up slight to see over it. I am going to take an inch of the top over the winter.

Certainly a BEC suits the car (Fury & Phoenix) very well, the gearbox is the thing I lust after most. Not sure if I could have done the 212miles each way to Llandow as happliy in a BEC Phoenix though.

NeilEverett
Name: Neil Everett

Postby NeilEverett » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:03 am

Hi Alex, no probs with the long post, I enjoyed reading your 'review'!

Like you say, it is surprising how similar all the JP cars were in terms of pace, I enjoyed being able to hustle the mojo along behind the front engined cars, as JPs mid engined creations don't seem to get much of a look in on the racing scene it was good to see not much difference in pace through the twsities!

Apologies again for that moment on our opening lap, when I decided (stupidly) to pull the visor down on my helment half way round the bend onto the back straight on cold tyres, and suddenly found myself correcting the oversteer with only one hand on the wheel... Got away with it ok though, even though the grass on the inside was a bit close for comfort!

Glad you found the Mojo more appealing in the flesh, so many people say exactly the same. Photos just don't do it justice, and I think it often gets discounted by many for this reason... oh well, means they remain exclusive!

Respect your decision to go front engined, and to be honest you're likely to struggle to find a secondhand Mojo on the market anyhow. I personally love the look of the Phoenix too. Hope you have success once the search starts in earnest, and hope to see you at one of my local meets at some point in the future.

All the best, Neil
Sylva Mojo 2.0 Zetec on GSXR750 throttle bodies...
www.mymojo.co.uk - Facebook feed

AlexH
Name: Alex Hayes

Postby AlexH » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:06 am

Neil, thanks for introducing me to the mojo and no problems on the 'moment' you did well to catch it one handed!

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:34 pm

First session I took it easy untill I found my way around. Lukily I'd managed to do that by the time I caught Ian Stent with his James Bond-esque "smoke screen" otherwise I'd have got lost in the bus stop. Second session was fun "cruising" along watching Ian and Jeff ;) I've got it all on video including Jeff's overtake, on cold tyres, without invitation. Third session and I was starting to get the hang of the track and pushing the braking points and worth the extra effort to get out before before lunch.

The afternoon was then fun just trying to catch/match quicker cars/drivers. Never thought I'd catch "the widowmaker" or bitsilly's RGB car but I think thats just down to me having more time in my car and thiers being new to them (I came up with the widowmaker tag in the morning and Pete immediatly knicked it and tried passing it off as his own). I find the tyres start to go off after about 20mins and things start to get a bit interesting and the gearing is a bit high on that track. Didn't know I was making flames though!

It might be a couple of days before I manage to get posting a video figured out but from what I can make out on the 2" screen it might be OK.

Alex... Jeffs engine is probably more civilised on the road, but I have done a 400+ mile day in my R1 with the full screen and had no ill effects. I think the screen makes more difference to comfort levels on the road than the engine .

adrian

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:43 pm

Sorry about the overtake Adrian ....just surprised that my car wasn't miss firing any more and went into race mode ;)

Your probable right about the screen and I would certainly look at a BEC in the future. As I said I was expecting to be blown away by the BECs on such a tight circuit and was surprised when it didn't happen.

Looking forward to the video (especially as my camera packed in with no batteries).

Ian Kelly
Name: Ian Kelly

Postby Ian Kelly » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:52 pm

Hi Adrian,

(Or should that be 'Mr Flame Grilled'...). Look forward to seeing the video!

Crispin's Cosworth Fury also put out some decent fireworks from the exhaust, looks great. I was amazed at the size of the engine \ turbo and that it fit under the bonnet without any scoops or cutouts.

Next job for me is to get the suspension set up properly. I've done it at home (string, rulers, etc) and need to cure the power understeer. See separate post...

Ian

Just40in
Name: Justin Emery

Postby Just40in » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:16 pm

Hi Guys,
It was a brilliant day all round. Thoughly enjoyed myself and good to see a wide range of motors going round - that Panda with the Punto engine and sticky tyres - great!

I had to work hard with road tyres to stay on, and used as much of the 'spare' bits of the circuit as possible! All the photos are excellent, I never seen so many of the old green Fury before. The car was faultess all day, plus the 440 mile round trip to Newark - must say I ached abit on Sunday....

Alex, pleasure to take you around - if we had the sidescreens on, it's even less draughty and the trick is to use ear-plugs for long journeys and a Bec is fine!

I have actually gone an put the car on Flea-bay and Pistonheads - tough decision (but it hasn't sold yet....)

Probably take it up to Donny later this month.

Regards, Justin

leemulligan
Name: Lee Mulligan

Postby leemulligan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:43 pm

Hi All

Again...what a brilliant day.

Everyone seems to have said it before me, but it was good to meet everyone, and see some serious cars (unfortuntley devon has a shortage of kits, and tracks)

Tyres got hammered, and lost the breaks due to heat, but had an amazing buzz in the process.

Apologies to anyone who had to swerve to avoid my aifilter plate falling off, luckily i think eveyone avoided it, and it was soon returned to be by the chief marshall who wasnt worried at all.

Lets hope the next track day comes around soon

Lee

Return to “Events”