Herts and Beds Meet Thursday 27th

For anything related to kitcar events including trackdays, local meets etc
Strikerxe
Name: John Richards

Herts and Beds Meet Thursday 27th

Postby Strikerxe » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:42 am

Sorry for the short notice but forecast for this Thursday is good at the moment . I can't remember who's on holiday and when :oops: but anyone up for a meet this Thursday ? Three Moorhens in Hitchin again. We can make it earlier than before as the nights are drawing in already if people want .

John

scudderfish
Name: Dave Smith

Re: Herts and Beds Meet Thursday 27th

Postby scudderfish » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:18 pm

Boo! MOT expired last week, and I can't get it sorted until next week. :(

Strikerxe

Postby Strikerxe » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:57 pm

Forecast is looking good so we're going for the meet this time ;) Rare chance to see a Star in the flesh and hopefully Mark will bring his car as well :D

scudderfish wrote:Boo! MOT expired last week, and I can't get it sorted until next week. :(

Mr Fish can you come in your tintop ? be good to meet up with a fellow member even sans car . You'll soon find us in the car park :P

Pub details here for anyone interested .

http://www.pub-explorer.com/herts/pub/t ... itchin.htm

John

MaRkStar
Name: Mark Rapley

Postby MaRkStar » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:42 pm

Oi John, don't temp Mr Murphy more than you have to, he's doing his best so far. The Star (as in the car) is yet to arrive at any show or JPSC event that I said I'd get to. Even last night I had the rubber steering coupling split, and guess what I have a spare HC version but need the HB version which is twice the depth do'ch! What do you reckon about spacing a joint on a steering rack using a nut?

Mark
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes . . .
There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily escaped the chronicler's mind

Strikerxe

Postby Strikerxe » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:19 pm

Oops look like I spoke too soon :shock:

Not sure what you mean by spacing a joint with a nut ? Is it the joint betwen the rack and the column ? Any chance of a photo ?

John

MaRkStar

Postby MaRkStar » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:54 pm

Soz no pic but this item on eBay shows the joint that has split.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-VIVA-HC- ... 286.c0.m14

The rubber coupling however on the HB column is twice as thick, so until I can get the thicker one, I need to add a spacer. So is it safe to use a nut to add the required depth rather than a load of washers?

Mark
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes . . .
There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily escaped the chronicler's mind

Strikerxe

Postby Strikerxe » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:09 pm

See what you mean now :oops: I take it the joint is rivetted together ? You'll probably find that there's a tube through the rubber to protect it . What I would do, and its at your own risk to try it , is dismember the HC joint and cut some new longer pieces of tube ( old length + extra required ) to suit the difference in thickness and then space out the two pieces with ( if possible ) repair washers and bolt it back together with high tensile bolts and nyloc nuts .

HTH

John

PS if you need some tube or washers give me a shout .

MaRkStar

Postby MaRkStar » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:34 pm

Cheers John. Thankfully the joint isn't riveted so comes into three pieces with the rubber part in the middle, the two parts of the column are not bolted directly together either but are at 90 degrees to each other. So you have four holes in the rubber coupling, two are connected to one side of the column the other two to the other side of the column :? . Good idea with the tubes but the old rubber is too shot and the metal parts through the rubber are actually triangular like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-VIVA-HB- ... 286.c0.m14

I reckon I can use a nut as a spacer at the other joint further up the column. This will get the car to the meet anyway. The column certainly will not come apart and the splined fitments will at least be fully bolted into place.

I will be bringing a large sheet of paper to the meet so that as we all scrutinize it I can keep a note of all the suggested work that'll need doing! :(

Mark

Strikerxe

Postby Strikerxe » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:26 pm

Slightly different design to what I remembered , must be my age :oops:

Nuts and longer bolts should be fine in the short term . Surprised the MOT didn't pick up your split rubber :shock:

All being well see you tomorrow :)

John

MaRkStar

Postby MaRkStar » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:10 pm

Just added the spacer, in fact doing so has improved the angle within the joint so reducing the pressure on the rubber so may well keep it that way. I take your point on the tubes, when you have a look tomorrow let me know if you think I should use tubes for strength. It will certainly be fine for getting there and back.

Thanks for your help, beer token at the ready! ;)

Mark

Return to “Events”