Blyton 19th Sept

For anything related to kitcar events including trackdays, local meets etc
jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: Blyton 19th Sept

Postby jeffw » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:57 am

And the pictures suggest that you either need a higher rollbar or sit lower in the car....

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:14 am

Yes, I know but I'll live with it (or not).

It's already higher than the standard one but to be truely effective, measured from the hard points at the front, giving a margin for bouncing about and belt give, it'd need to be at least a foot taller still. It's better without the helmet... but somehow, thats not very reasuring :shock:

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:21 am

You must sit quite high in the car? comparing the pictures of the two Furies your head/shoulders are much higher....of course the other guy could be a short arse !

adithorp

Postby adithorp » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:37 am

The bowl of the seat is touching the floor and I've angled it back. I could angle it more but that moves your arse forward and I'd be too close to the pedals. I've played about with it in the past and this is the best compromise.

Adam is both shorter and more laid back in the seat than me.

AdamR
Name: Adam Read

Postby AdamR » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:50 am

adithorp wrote:Had a quick measure at my front suspension pick-up points and arm lengths... and they're a bit different from yours Adam. Can't guarantee they're 100% accurate as it's still on the trailer and got all the undertrays on getting in the way. I know very little about susp' design but mine looks better to me (happy to be corrected)...

Also don't get anywhere near the camber gain that Tim Hoverd talks about.

Fisher Fury Target

Thanks for that Adi! Very different to mine, hmm. I'm going to go back and measure my car, been playing with the numbers (while on holiday - hence the slow reply, apologies) and it seems just 1 or 2mm here and there can make a pretty large difference to the roll centre and other aspects of the geo... Yours does appear to be a lot better though. I am quite sure mine has had some 'repairs' in the past, so that might explain it!

Re. the roll bar / seat - I am a fair bit shorter as has already been said, plus the seat is pretty laid back (I extended the column by about an inch). I tried driving with my HANS device (20 degree, I think) and it's very uncomfortable due to how laid back the seat is, I'll need an adjustable one to swap between cars I reckon.

adithorp

Postby adithorp » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:06 pm

As I said my measurements were the best I could get at the time so don't take them as gospel. I'll get some more accurate ones when I get chance.

I'm back at Blyton this Friday so considering increasing the camber and possibly going back to the old springs to see how it is. Just hope it's not do too many changes at once and I don't know what caused what... again! :roll:

AdamR

Postby AdamR » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:19 am

Sure - makes sense - thanks! I'll post up when I've re-checked mine too.

That's the problem with two changes I guess... What springs would you be going from and to?

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:37 am

Try the camber first....

adithorp

Postby adithorp » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:46 pm

I'd be going back to 160lb springs from 180. I went up to try and prevent bottoming out as much as I was but also changed shock length at the same time. I thought both were needed but I suspect just the shock change would have done.
I'm thinking doing the spring now as then I can reset the corner weight and ride height in the workshop. I can play with camber relativly easily and although it may affect the weights it won't be a lot. Really thinking of doing it now as it'll possibly be the last outing this year and the feel from last time is still fresh in my memory.

AdamR

Postby AdamR » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:20 pm

How did you get on Adi? Did you make some changes to the car?

Return to “Events”