Blyton 19th Sept

For anything related to kitcar events including trackdays, local meets etc
AdamR
Name: Adam Read

Re: Blyton 19th Sept

Postby AdamR » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:18 am

Cheers for the info gents!

Adi - I'm on 180 rears (just about bottoms out gently on the road), fronts are unknown but look about 170-200 range. Chassis balance feels a few % too oversteery and spring rates in this range would tie in with that. I would love some posh shocks with independent compression adjustment so I could get away with softer springs (for better grip) but can't justify them on this car!

Jeff - cheers for that. I thought you were around those numbers, makes sense given the extra weight.

Simon - sounds like you had got it properly sorted then!

Has anyone else done all the roll centre migration calculations for their car? I got some spring rate recommendations from Procomp, which were pretty much the same as you guys are using, but it means the front wheel rates come out crazily high - it now makes sense given the front roll centre migration during roll and bump, though. I am wondering if it's a case of 'they all do that' or mine is a bit weird... I've never seen what is meant to be a well-handling car have such a variable front roll centre location before!

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Postby dopdog » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:36 am

I had all the calculations done for my car and cpm. With the weight of my car I ended up with 150lb on the front and 130lb rear with progressive bump stops.

Had to adjust the dampers a lot but seems to be OK?

AdamR

Postby AdamR » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:41 am

Thanks Simon. Guessing that puts you somewhere around 110-120cpm front and 95-105 rear? That's what I was going to aim for (I like a 'soft' car), but Procomp were recommending more like 140 front and 115 rear. Different strokes for different folks, I guess...!

Looks like I can move the lower wishbone chassis pickups upwards around 6-7mm to make a big change to the roll centre migration, so it'll be time to get busy with the welder when I get chance.

dopdog

Postby dopdog » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:27 pm

AdamR wrote:Thanks Simon. Guessing that puts you somewhere around 110-120cpm front and 95-105 rear? That's what I was going to aim for (I like a 'soft' car), but Procomp were recommending more like 140 front and 115 rear. Different strokes for different folks, I guess...!

Looks like I can move the lower wishbone chassis pickups upwards around 6-7mm to make a big change to the roll centre migration, so it'll be time to get busy with the welder when I get chance.

I think that is about spot on, also the car has zero droop on the front that acts like an anti roll bar so shifts the weight very well in cornering.

dopdog

Postby dopdog » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:28 pm

also a softer car allows you to ride the curbs and just float around, none of this bumping around lark :lol:

AdamR

Postby AdamR » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:46 pm

Thanks. I've also played around with zero droop, wasn't quite sure what I made of it - maybe time to re-investigate at some point :)

Yep, many advantages to softer cars if you can deal with the reduced response to your inputs!

Don't suppose you have any in-car vids online anywhere Simon? Edit: Don't worry, I successfully stalked you out on YouTube :lol:
Last edited by AdamR on Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:56 pm

I think there maybe pictures when Simon launched it at Debden.....or maybe not !

dopdog

Postby dopdog » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:21 pm

Ha we dont talk about that, all of the vids are with the rock hard springs, never driven it on the soft settings :D

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:16 pm

lol....so how the hell do you know if it worked or not :shock: 8-) :?

dopdog

Postby dopdog » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:21 pm

Its all in the maths,

Not just theory did the same with my striker just before I got my first FTD in it. Check out some of my old times at north weald in it ;)

I can guarantee that it will be quicker and put in better times than before but alas we shall never know :roll:

Return to “Events”