Castle Combe Spring Performance Car Action Day

For anything related to kitcar events including trackdays, local meets etc
RogerM
Name: Roger Mills

Castle Combe Spring Performance Car Action Day

Postby RogerM » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:18 am

Anybody going to this?

Will be the first time out on track for me in the Riot although no stranger to Castle Combe

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: Castle Combe Spring Performance Car Action Day

Postby jeffw » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:57 pm

Not going but I do like Coombe. Have a great day but watch the back end of the Riot, seen a few come round on themselves at Sprints.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:18 pm

I've heard those events can be a bit dodgy with lots of wannabes taking risks. Is that true?

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:02 pm

Not if you are not there... ;)

You do tend to get a number of novices but you get that most places these days.

RogerM

Postby RogerM » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:27 am

Action days can be a bit hit and miss as you never know what, or indeed who, will be on track at the same time.

Combe do a fairly good job of providing specific slots for specific genres thus separating a fair bit of it out and are very hot on policing etiquette although obviously can only be done after the session.

I've been out in sessions in Mini's, kits, Porsche and track focused monsters so have seen it from all points of view. If people use their mirrors and senses it all works out ok. I've never had an issue with an action day, worst I've personally had was at a Mini specific event when somebody had cooked their brakes and had no choice but to slide up the inside of me as they had no retardation, that could happen anywhere any time and there are run off areas anywhere that is likely to happen.

I've also been one of those over committed myself, came over Avon Rise in my old 170bhp Dutton B+ to find a Westy S8 having a 'moment' with nothing left in reserve on my braking point (yes I know it's wise to get all your braking done before the crest at Avon Rise on action days now) and had no choice but to take to the grass to avoid a bang. Who's fault was that? Mine I'd say as just because I can put a car almost anywhere I like at will doesn't mean others have the same talent.

Just be respectful of the fact that there will be various levels of grip, horsepower and indeed brain power on track and you'll be fine. Think of it this way, would you put your car up the inside of an truck on a roundabout no matter how sure you were that you could get out before they cut across?
If the answer is no then you'll be fine on action days too, it's fairly easy to spot those who might be a little 'hard of understanding'.
If the answer is yes then please let me know which session you book in to so I can be in a different one ;)

To me action days are a good place to get a bit of track time without the commitment and expense of a full track day. Almost everybody I know who has taken their car to a full track day for the first time has missed some or indeed most of it due to finding the weaknesses in their car which they would never have exposed on the road (honestly officer) so a couple of 15 minute sessions on action days are a good way to understand your car at 95% before you take it to a full on track day at 100%.

If you are a bit nervous of what / who else might be out at the same time then maybe it would be better to wait for the Kit/classic action day on the 20th June as you are only going to find people who treat their cars like you do out on circuit, also the paddock will be more interesting too :)

Just my opinion of course based on two decades of track days, other people will have different ones.

Edd

Postby Edd » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:57 pm

http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=6c4 ... d561f14600

If anyone wants to book a seession for £20 let me know, you'll need to be a member of the JPSC, see attached flyer.
Edd

RogerM

Postby RogerM » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:45 pm

Edd,

thanks for sorting that out, I was going to ask about that event next!

I'll definitely be up for a few sessions at the June event :)

Edd

Postby Edd » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:15 pm

My memory is not good so PM me a reminder later on edward@jpsc.org.uk
Edd

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:29 pm

Just been sent this link by a mate. Looks a lot hairier than an average track day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftEYlrP ... e=youtu.be

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:41 pm

And this is why Combe has the most expensive trackday insurance of any UK track...

Return to “Events”