Time for a 'what tyre' thread?

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Ian Kelly
Name: Ian Kelly

Re: Time for a 'what tyre' thread?

Postby Ian Kelly » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:27 pm

A048's are the only tyre I've had on the Fury, so nothing really to compare them too. Other than 'normal' car tyres on normal cars!

Have to say though, pulling out of my road in January and getting to the lights 300 yards away, hit the middle pedal and just skated onwards, front wheels locked. Was about 8 degrees and dry, but the tyres were having none of it. Zero grip when very cold. Remembered how to unlock the wheels and feel for grip just in time! :shock:

petercoll wrote:Is there anything better you can recommend Ian ?

Thanks,

Pete

Ian Kelly wrote:Just a quick comment on Yoko A048's. Superb in warm, dry conditions, rubbish in warm wet conditions, dangerous in the cold!

Ian

Timbo
Name: Tim King

Postby Timbo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:58 pm

Yoko A520's seem just as bad as A048's Niel, you've seen the results of these in damp conditions!

Tim.
Don't put tomato ketchup on your salad cream sandwiches. It spoils the taste of the chocolate spread.

NeilEverett
Name: Neil Everett

Postby NeilEverett » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:59 am

mdb_75 wrote:I went from the A539 to the newer Parada2. I've only used them on the road, but they seem ok to me! I'm not sure if they're available in 14" though?

Correct, no 14". It's a pain!

I think the 195/55 r14 T1R is looking the likely choice as I really don't want to change the wheels, and if I did I'll likely end up on 195 wide tyres anyway... Had a closer nosey at clearances to the body and cycle wings, and I reckon 5mm each side will just about go in without too much fibreglass removal!
Sylva Mojo 2.0 Zetec on GSXR750 throttle bodies...
www.mymojo.co.uk - Facebook feed

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Postby petercoll » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:11 am

Just ordered a set of A048s from Polleys - £301 delivered.

Pete

NeilEverett

Postby NeilEverett » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:19 pm

Time for a bit of a follow up...

A set of 195/55R14 T1Rs is looking like £210 from camskill... and who knows what the choice will be next time I need new tyres!?

Have looked into swapping to 15" rims, I have concerns about adding unsprung mass so have tracked down 3 lightish but not expensive options:

Wolfrace Pro Lites (6.2kg) with Yoko Parada or Toyo T1R ~£320

Dezent Motion (6.4kg) on Marangoni Zeta Linea ~£360

The wild card: Inovit Rapid (6.5kg) on Toyo T1R ~£295
Black wheels are a bit of a love it/loathe it for many, including me, but I actually quite like the results of a bit of photoshoppery. I think the silver edge to these rims helps lift them a little.

Apologies for not photoshopping the tyre tread patterns! ;)

In a bit of a change of heart, I think the £100-£150 extra for new wheels and tyres is well worth it as I can sell the old wheel/tyre assembly for a few quid, and make big savings at future tyre changes.

Now just need to decide what to buy... and I'm torn! Your observations and comments welcomed!
Last edited by NeilEverett on Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fury1630
Name: Tony Hart

Postby Fury1630 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:26 pm

My twopenceworth:-
I like the black. I agree that full black wheels can look a bit "Hmm" sometimes, but as you say, the silver rim lifts the look, & the black ties in with the doors.

T
"Low Commotion" Quite possibly the slowest Fury.........................................................................in the world.

NeilEverett

Postby NeilEverett » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:39 pm

Fury1630 wrote:My twopenceworth:-
I like the black. I agree that full black wheels can look a bit "Hmm" sometimes, but as you say, the silver rim lifts the look, & the black ties in with the doors.

T

My thoughts exactly re the gloss black of sidescrens & wheels. But still not sure... wonder if they might date faster than the silver options...

Sounding like a fashion victim!

;)

Ta for your input!

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Postby petercoll » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:33 pm

The second option, definitely.

Pete

Timbo
Name: Tim King

Postby Timbo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:31 pm

Black wheels? Oh yes, I like those. But then again i'm biased...................
Don't put tomato ketchup on your salad cream sandwiches. It spoils the taste of the chocolate spread.

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:41 pm

Timbo wrote:Black wheels? Oh yes, I like those. But then again i'm biased...................

Echo -- on both counts. However, the competition boys would mostly advise you to take the Zeta Linea tyres.
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”