Time for a 'what tyre' thread?

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
kdempsie
Name: Keith Dempsie

Re: Time for a 'what tyre' thread?

Postby kdempsie » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:11 pm

Neil,

I reckon the black ones look good, you could always paint / powder coat them in a few years if you grow tired of the colour. Have you thought about going to 13" wheels. I fancy the idea of Compomotive CXR's on mine. Then you'd have lightweight wheels and tyres, although having said that I was thinking about A048's for my more occasional usage. Haven't checked brake clearance yet.

I have the same wheels as on the old red Sylva demo in 15", but i think you're right about the weight it's one area where I can see the improvement in general control and 'f'idgetyness' in your car over mine. I use the Toyo T1R tyres, they are really good when warmed up and fine when it's cold and wet. It's not too easy to get the fronts warm though.

Sorry I'd buggered off before I got a chance to give you a comparison run in my car on the Sunday at Stoneleigh, I was not in very good humour when I finally decided to get up at 5.30 in fear of hypothermia and just set off home. Drove all the way home in wild conditions and didn't get wet at all inspite of my lack of hood, the side screens are really impressive!

I could weigh a wheel and tyre for comparison if you fancy?

Keith.

NeilEverett
Name: Neil Everett

Postby NeilEverett » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:32 am

I think fitting 13" would be difficult, I think Patrick has managed it on his MiniMojo, but had to do a lot of faffing and had basically one type of wheel that gave enough clearance (I think the problem area is the rear lower wishbone through-bolt). I like the CXRs, but not their price! So 15"s it is, I think...

Good to hear feedback on the Toyos, I've heard plenty of good things about them as a road tyre for kits, even if the Marangoni is better still...

I know that my existing 14" wheel and tyre is about 13.5kg, and have found a few examples on web forums etc of 15" w&t ranging from around 13 (££££££!) up to 18 or 19kg. I went and had a look at the black wheels yeterday as they are from a local supplier, and got the wheels on the scales - 6.5kg so 300g lighter than claimed. The Toyos are supposed to be just under 8kg so I'd be looking at under 14.5kg - I think that I can cope with <1kg increase each corner, especially at under £300.

Feedback has been very much in favour of the black wheels (I had a bit of a vote around work colleagues & local friends too) so I think I will order them today. Yikes!

:shock:

ps Keith - Had meant to drop you a line after Stoneleigh and then never got round to it! Sorry your stay was rather shorter than planned, a monumental effort from Aberdeen!
Sylva Mojo 2.0 Zetec on GSXR750 throttle bodies...
www.mymojo.co.uk - Facebook feed

AlexH
Name: Alex Hayes

Postby AlexH » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:05 pm

Black wheels are also great for not cleaning off brake dust every 5 mins!

NeilEverett

Postby NeilEverett » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:10 pm

Here is the end result:

mdb_75
Name: Michael

Postby mdb_75 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:51 pm

They look good Neil, they're very snug in the front cycle wings!

NeilEverett

Postby NeilEverett » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:01 pm

mdb_75 wrote:They look good Neil, they're very snug in the front cycle wings!

Thanks Michael.

They are snug, clearance is very tight (about 3mm...) and it has accentuated the fact that the left one isn't quite sitting right... Another job to add to the list! Not too noticeable though, so for the time being I'm just enjoying the new 'look'...

madinventions
Name: Ed Williamson-Brown

Postby madinventions » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:23 am

Hi Neil,

Welcome to the 15" rim club! I went for 15's on mine for exactly the same reasons as you've stated - decent 14" tyres are becoming very scarce these days. I love the black against red you've now got - it looks superb. Have you noticed any difference in the handling yet?

Ed. 8-)
See my build diary here: http://www.madinventions.co.uk/mojo

NeilEverett

Postby NeilEverett » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:57 am

madinventions wrote:Hi Neil,

Welcome to the 15" rim club! I went for 15's on mine for exactly the same reasons as you've stated - decent 14" tyres are becoming very scarce these days. I love the black against red you've now got - it looks superb. Have you noticed any difference in the handling yet?

Ed. 8-)

It seems that just about everyone other than my wife and 4 year old daughter likes the black rims...

:D

Oh well, you can't please everyone!

Main things to note after the swap:

-Ride slightly less bouncy in terms of body control (less bouncing on the tyres due to 50 profile?)

-Ride slightly more agitated over small bumps (increased unspring mass)

-Tyres give lots of confidence in wet conditions - 300 miles mostly on wet roads last weekend gave them a good test! They chuck out an almighty flow of water out from under the cycle wings in standing water... Was taking it fairly easy but still had 1 minor sideways moment on a quiet roundabout, which was easy to correct and seemed fairly progressive.

-Massvely less affected by driving along white lines / over cats eyes / along roads with HGV grooves. Wasn't expecting this, but it's a big bonus. Amazing the difference a tyre can make in this respect.

-Dry grip at least as good as the old A539s

-Steering feel quite similar

I'll be uploading a new section to the website over the weekend...

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”