Phoenix ownership

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Re: Phoenix ownership

Postby petercoll » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:53 am

One of the challenges I think we face, as owners and as the JPSC, is that the JP "brand" is spread across many types of cars. Potential and existing owners don't automatically have an affinity with what looks like a completely different car.

A manufacturer who can draw them back together (Striker, Fulcrum and Phoenix as suggested above) could be onto a winner as you get the brand affinity, a racing reputation worth building on, and some commonality of chassis manufacture which keeps costs down.

Pete

Fury1630
Name: Tony Hart

Postby Fury1630 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:04 pm

matt_gsxr wrote:
Fury1630 wrote:As far as I'm aware fisher's sold far more door-less spyders than full screen & door cars, so that would suggest it was more down to marketing. One other point, a full screen is of limited value without doors as weather gear is still "difficult".

I think you are right. The thing is when you start out building you don't know the full story. Most people think:
1) screen is a good idea because of the wind and rain (they are right) and they don't want to build a "racing car".
2) doors are difficult, they never fit right, and are an extra complication (they are right) also the manufacturer warns them of this.

So, they order a car with a screen and no doors.

They don't realise that without side-windows that the screen is compromised, and that is why they should have bought doors. Then it is too late.

FWIW: Caterham and Westfield don't have doors, and they seem to ship a few units (those removable door things that they have are rubbish).

I think that a Phoenix with a screen would give the Fury some tough competition, especially if the company supporting the Phoenix was as strong as KCW or Mark Fisher were.

Just thoughts.

Matt

Yep, agree with all of that, but I'd add from my Fury experience that a "lump" of air comes off the bonnet, round the screen & hit me square in the face. That was OK, until it rained when the wipers dumped 1/2 cup of water into that airflow with each sweep. I've added Lexan deflectors to mine that stop it, but I'm guessing a full-screen Phoenix would be the same.

T
"Low Commotion" Quite possibly the slowest Fury.........................................................................in the world.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:47 pm

"...Yep, agree with all of that, but I'd add from my Fury experience that a "lump" of air comes off the bonnet, round the screen & hit me square in the face. That was OK, until it rained when the wipers dumped 1/2 cup of water into that airflow with each sweep. I've added Lexan deflectors to mine that stop it, but I'm guessing a full-screen Phoenix would be the same...."

Mine didn't. I got some buffeting that got bad from 60mph up. The only water I got was a bit of spray on my right shoulder and top of my hat plus a drip off the lower corner of the screen when I stopped. I put side screens on to stop the buffeting and it's better untill about 95 but the water now drips when moving.

adrian

matt_gsxr
Name: Matthew Robson

Postby matt_gsxr » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:12 pm

Adi,

You come from Manchester where it rains all the time and men are proper tough.
So you wouldn't even notice someone throwing a bucket of water over your head.

Actually why have you got a namby pamby screen at all?

Matt

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:55 am

"...Actually why have you got a namby pamby screen at all?

Matt
matt_gsxr ..."

Because I don't have to hide my face when out in public, so I don't need a helmet on... :lol:

adrian

petercoll

Postby petercoll » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:15 pm

Well I guess we can come clean now. The new owners of RAW have the moulds for the Phoenix, so should be able to market the Phoenix alongside the Striker and the Fulcrum, which can only be good for the brand !

Pete

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:43 pm

Certainly a sensible approach....they just need to lose the Fulcrum moulds now :D

matt_gsxr
Name: Matthew Robson

Postby matt_gsxr » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:53 pm

who would have guessed ;)

I look forward to seeing how they price the Phoenix, and whether they do a windscreen option.
Maybe the name will be more appropriate than expected.

Matt

petercoll

Postby petercoll » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:11 pm

Was there ever an IRS Phoenix ?

Pete

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Yes, loads of them....most, if not all, the STM cars are IRS.
Last edited by jeffw on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”