Phoenix ownership

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Ian Kelly
Name: Ian Kelly

Phoenix ownership

Postby Ian Kelly » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi,

Seen a few messages on Sylva chat (which I can't post to any more) about the Phoenix and it's demise. The thought struck me, why not organise a 'group buy' and take over production of the Phoenix as a JPSC co-operative! I know it sounds mad, but hear me out.

As people have rightly pointed out, the Phoenix is a great looking car and in the right ownership would probably sell in limited numbers if marketed appropriately and built properly. If it came with a windscreen then I would stop my investigations into the GKD Evolution and build a Phoenix. So there's one potential customer!

Whilst it might not be a viable business proposition for someone looking for an income, if a few like minded people (maybe current Phoenix owners, potential new owners, etc) got together then they could buy the rights to the car and bring it into JPSC ownership.

Might be barking up a totally random tree here, but what do people think?? And has anyone got a definitive answer as to who owns the Phoenix and what their plans might be?

Cheers, Ian

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Re: Phoenix ownership

Postby petercoll » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:47 pm

I had a similar idea Ian - great minds think alike !

Someone on the chat list said the moulds for the Phoenix are in "good hands" - we need to find out what that means.

Pete

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:59 pm

There are a number of thoughts that spring to mind....

1. What you appear to want, Ian, is a full screen Fury with a Phoenix rear bodywork. Obviously this isn't a Phoenix as they never had screens.
2. The Phoenix was (and is) and body on a Striker chassis. Raw have the rights the Chassis so I would think you could make a set of bodywork and produce a Phoenix. So the issue then is who has the rights (and moulds) for the bodywork.
3. Both Cyana & Rainbird (Caged) have produced cars so I assume both of them bought from Stuart Taykor Motorsport. My understanding is that Caged produced the round tubed updated Chassis for the STM Phoenix.
4. If there was a market for the car then both Caged and Cyana would be knocking out vehicles.

I would be happy to buy a part share in the moulds/formers if that meant I could get a set of bodywork if required.

Lee Champion
Name: Lee Champion

Postby Lee Champion » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:57 pm

Jeff, I have a Fury screen and surround in my back garden with I was considering having grafted onto my car. When I take the aeroscreen off next I will offer it up and photograph it. I would get it professionally grafted on by our local boat builder though, my effort would probobly fly off at 70mph!!!

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:59 pm

Looking forward to that.

matt_gsxr
Name: Matthew Robson

Postby matt_gsxr » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:25 pm

What kind of money would these rights cost?

Do they have any value, or legal protection?

I guess that caged have some designs for the round tube chassis, and might claim some design rights.
Someone somewhere has the body moulds (which we know could do with a refurb).
Then there is a list somewhere that lists all the suppliers for bits like light covers, lights, seats, brake hose sets, (all those things that were listed on the STM site), we could probably cobble this together between us.

If (for example) I were to make moulds from my bodywork and sending them out*, I don't see anyone sending me a writ.

The only other cost would be storage space.

From a prospective purchasers position. Why would you consider buying a Phoenix if it is not supported.

I am supportive of this whole plan, and could throw in a few quid, but I'd like to understand how it would work!
We could become the new "Phoenix 4", where is the pension fund?

Matt

*my bodywork isn't good enough for this!

Lee Champion
Name: Lee Champion

Postby Lee Champion » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:23 am

Tim Mann has a lovely Fury with a screen which has cleverly a Phoenix rear end. All Fury's should be like that!!!

Fury1630
Name: Tony Hart

Postby Fury1630 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:30 pm

Lee Champion wrote:All Fury's should be like that!!!

Hands off mine, I like it just the way it is thank you. :P

T
"Low Commotion" Quite possibly the slowest Fury.........................................................................in the world.

RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Postby RobMsport » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:49 pm

Some of us in clubstylus had similar thoughts when SSC ceased trading but after two offers , one from myself , plus one from another owner , both were turned down as they didn't meet expectations. When you look into it more seriously and realise the financial implications of holding stock for fast delivery(people get very pissed off waiting many months for their order :x ) plus probably being a one man band attempting to answer build queries , supply parts @£20 after an hours phone call ----- some phone calls lasting longer without any sale etc etc ------------ then you realise why ' they 'ceased trading . The only way to survive , let alone make money , is to take chassis construction in house which again requires space and money.
As retirement from my own business was looming up for me at the time , I still wanted to do it , having the space etc BUT the parts supply and enquiry time spent mainly on advice without profit would have prevented it being anything more than a VERY busy hobby to break even . Bodies couldn't be done in house my me and costs in my area were way above those in Wales(TIM DUFFEE DARRION CARS)

GREAT idea but very hard to acheive successfully :roll: Perhaps just body moulds plus chassis jigs ownership then contract out might be more easily done :?:

matt_gsxr
Name: Matthew Robson

Postby matt_gsxr » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:01 pm

Rob,

What money are we talking, ball park.

At the moment the rights are depreciating and they are only ever worth what someone will pay.

Matt

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”