Help me choose a new engine for my Striker

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Fizzer

Re: Help me choose a new engine for my Striker

Postby Fizzer » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:50 pm

can't comment on how this stacks up agains the other engine options but in my live axle fury is:

Zetec blacktop - £100 from a breaker in Birmingham*
Tiger racing baffled sump, pickup and spacers - £275**
Silvertop windage tray (from old engine)
weber 45's + ignition (from old setup)***
3.54 diff - £150 from a nice bloke on turbosport.co.uk forums
Loveley newman cams (ph3) £300 + vat
arp rod bolts £50
shims £20
rolling road session £400

about a grand and a half all told - I get 177hp at the crank @ 7300 (it was still climbing at the red line!)

Essentially, i toasted my old 1.8 silvertop by sucking a stone through it so I decided to upgrade - It's great fun, loads more torque and you can blat along at 3500 rpm @ 90ish mph - flat spot has gone too

I guess I could have got more (new engine for instance) for not much more money. but I did manage to get most of this done 'under the radar' financially. :)

Andy

*yup, £100! it's a good'un too, I couldn't believe it. (neither could he, I think)

**tiger shallow sumps have a bad rep for oil surge and porosity. They're half the price and I've had no problem with either mind you.

*** for a 2.0, 45's are better but you can run 40's. Might needs some artful rolling road time to get them 'in'
Live Axle Fisher Fury: 2lt Blacktop Zetec, Newman cams, Tiger shallow sump, lightened flywheel, grumbly webers, willwood calipers + disk kit.

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Postby petercoll » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:48 pm

Where is the best place to get a good R1 engine Ade ?

Pete

adithorp wrote:Just BEC it Pete!
:roll:
An '06 R1 will get yo 140+bhp at the wheels and get the weight down under 500kg into the bargain.

adrian

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:46 pm

Malc at Yorkshire Engines. He might not be as cheap as trawling through e-bay but he garentees all his engines and he'll be able to advise on any problems you get fitting it. Top bloke. I'll pm you his number.

adrian

adithorp

Postby adithorp » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:34 am

PaulW7
Name: Paul Willetts

Postby PaulW7 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:22 pm

Pete ,
Drawn to the dark side are you? Don't forget to factor in a reverse gear arrangement if you go down the Bike engine route.

And a new fuel tank for injection set up with either car or bike power.
Paul.

Lee Champion
Name: Lee Champion

Postby Lee Champion » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:03 am

If you genuinly did want to go as fast as you can as cheap as you can, then i'd look no furthur than trying to locate a good 919cc carbed Fireblade (if there are any left?). This is the setup I had in my Fury with a 3.54 diff. On 205 / 13 Yoko's the top speed was about 129mph from memory, it was the same setup as most of the RGB racers were using at the time. No sump mods required, just a cheap set of Dynojets and an air filter. Dee Pee did this exact conversion on his Striker from a crossflow, as far as I remember he just had to modify the upper chassis rail where the exhaust manifold was, he got Griffin involved so they probobly did it with hammers..... :lol: I know people may frown at the old blade but it is totally proven and indestructible, and I can honestly say my memory of that live axle Furyblade was something just as fast in a straight line as my current injected R1 Phoenix, and it was certainly better on fuel!!!! You could probobly buy engine mounts etc. off the shelf making it a much simpler install. I'd estimate you could probobly do the whole conversion for about £2k. That should give you 0-60 in the low 4's and nigh on 130 mph. Of course a carbed' R1 is probobly the "modern" alternative. But as ever a BEC is not for everyone, and have a good ride in one before you commit to the bike engined route!

adithorp

Postby adithorp » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:24 pm

"...But as ever a BEC is not for everyone, and have a good ride in one before you commit to the bike engined route!..." Lee Champion

Go wash your mouth out! :D

adrian

graham1
Name: Graham hurley

Postby graham1 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Hi
if you want a reliable 150bhp try the mazda v6 1.8 should give that no problem and the torque makes it so diveable,if you want to go nuts and scare yourself try the 2.5 omg, its the same physical size as the 1.8
Mega squirt, throttle boddies and away you go,
cheers Graham

matt_gsxr
Name: Matthew Robson

Postby matt_gsxr » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Peter,

You don't need reverse unless you need to register the car (under IVA), or want to go racing (RGB). Reverse isn't really that useful. You just have to remember and plan accordingly. I would argue that if you are going to go bike engined then you want to save all the weight possible (e.g. no reverse and lightweight battery).

I think if I were to put a new engine in then I'd consider the zx10r quite seriously. That isn't to say there is anything wrong with the r1 (except that everyone has one), but the zx10 is really light and tiny so the airbox issues of the R1 are lessened. The only problem is that you need a 3.14 diff (which would give a top speed of 130mph with 13inch wheels) and I don't know whether you can get these with a live axle.

My experiences of old carbs (i.e. on the old fireblades) is that you always have leaks and tuning is a compromise (the airbox can play a significant role). I ended up fuel injecting the gsxr1100 to get past these problems. The only additional pain of EFI is that you need to install a high pressure pump, perhaps requiring fuel tank modifications. FWIW if you want cheap power then the gsxr1100wp is a mega bargain, but later bikes engines have more powerful alternators, aren't already 15years old, and are lighter so probably a cost saving too far.

Just random utterings,

Matt

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Postby petercoll » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:28 pm

Have been thinking about this option form some time Paul. It doesn't help having a brother with an R1 Fury (which I have yet to go in, let alone drive).

Pete

PaulW7 wrote:Pete ,
Drawn to the dark side are you? Don't forget to factor in a reverse gear arrangement if you go down the Bike engine route.

And a new fuel tank for injection set up with either car or bike power.
Paul.

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”