Intercom

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
DavidM
Name: David Merriman

Intercom

Postby DavidM » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:10 am

I'm thinking of getting an intercom so I can can communicate with passengers by more than just arm waving etc :)

The car is mainly used for track days and short road blats and it's unlikely to ever be used for touring so I'm not really interested in hundreds of inputs for phones, sat nav, mp3 players etc. It's aeroscreened though so being loud and clear enough to be understood above the noise is important (preferably when pressing on as I'd like to be able to communicate a bit better with instructors too).

I'm looking at the rally car type intercoms from the likes of Sparco, Terratrip and OMP. Has anyone used these? Are they likely to be loud enough and the noise cancellation good enough or have I got no chance with an aeroscreen?

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: Intercom

Postby jeffw » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:30 am

Get a bike one....Autocom is my preference

matt_gsxr
Name: Matthew Robson

Postby matt_gsxr » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:13 am

you can make a simple one from a maplin kit.

They have a kit for old people to amplify the television which contains 2 independent microphones and amplifiers. About £8.

If you pop this in a box, extend the microphones, with a few phono connectors on the outside, then you can plug normal iPod headphones into it. Also you can add additional (unamplified) inputs and switch so you can feed the signal from ipod and/or savnav into it for some tunes.

I found that the "stuff it in your ear" headphones block out the noise pretty well too.

Worked nicely down to Le Mans this year and only cost about £15.

Matt

Fury1630
Name: Tony Hart

Postby Fury1630 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:23 pm

DavidM wrote:being loud and clear enough to be understood above the noise is important (preferably when pressing on as I'd like to be able to communicate a bit better with instructors too).

Also quite satisfying to hear the passenger's screams - or is that just me? :twisted:
"Low Commotion" Quite possibly the slowest Fury.........................................................................in the world.

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”