Fury sill ventilation?

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Fury sill ventilation?

Postby adithorp » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:03 pm

How many holes have you got?

I've got the front and rear of the exhaust sill cut out plus a cold air feed to the manifold and another into the sill (both from the front air intake "nostrils"). The whole sill is lined with heat blanket.
At weekend I was out in the car and my passenger commented on how hot the sill was both inside the car and outside. You could just hold your hand on it. We had just been in slow traffic.
I recently put inner wings on the Fury and wondered if this had effected it?

adrian

clairetoo
Name: Claire Rule

Re: Fury sill ventilation?

Postby clairetoo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:52 pm

I dont have any `extra' holes in my sills - other than the fronts being cut away and a bit of a scoop added , just inboard of the front tyre .
Allso my silencers are 5" - when I used to run a 6" one (with the crossflow) the left sill would get uncomfortably hot , now they get no more than a little warm .

Claire xx
8 is too many , 4 aint enough , so it's gotta be 6

Fury1630
Name: Tony Hart

Postby Fury1630 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:13 pm

I've got a series of holes along the entire underside of the pod from big (about 5" x 3") at the front to small (about 3" x 1.5") at the back, plus the front & rear cut out apart from a diagonal "strut". The pod is lined with blanket, & the side wall inside the cockpit is carpeted. The pod doesn't get any more than warm.

You can just about make out the vents in this pic from SVA.

T
Sill Vents.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Low Commotion" Quite possibly the slowest Fury.........................................................................in the world.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:50 pm

I was thinking of doing holes in the bottom and Ian Kelly sugested the same. The problem I see is that when moving the temp is fine, but when you come to a stop it's the heat soak thats builds. The heat rises and do holes in the bottom help as much as letting the hot air out the top would. With holes in the bottom does that also, when in motion, just let the through flow of cold air out before it gets to the back.

I'm starting to think I might make some slots in the top edge just below the join with the tub. Say about 2x8cm and press some mesh to fit, then bond them in. That way the air would be able to escape when stationary and draw in from the existing front and rear vents.

Just need the time to do it now!

adrian

Ian Kelly
Name: Ian Kelly

Postby Ian Kelly » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi Adrian,

Holes in the bottom should help, and certainly won't make things any worse. At the moment when stationary the side pod will be full of stationary air. At least if there's fresh air holes hot air car escape more easily, especially if there's a slight breeze.

I've just ordered another 1m2 of heat mat and will probably have some left over if you want to add more. I take it you have the side pod fully lined, including the top of the pod?

Ian

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”