Farley ARB in Phoenix

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
matt_gsxr
Name: Matthew Robson

Farley ARB in Phoenix

Postby matt_gsxr » Sun May 30, 2010 11:52 pm

Rob is keen to see some photos of how his bar fits into a Phoenix, so here are a few photos. Maybe interesting to others too.

The bar is 16mm diameter (solid) and 400mm long. Holes are at 15mm centres and arms are 8inches long. I did a back to back comparison and this definitely made the car feel better (Llandow), although the tyre wear on the outside front was considerable (that might have been me locking up though! I struggled with spotting the braking point for the bus-stop).

Matt

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Re: Farley ARB in Phoenix

Postby petercoll » Mon May 31, 2010 6:46 am

I saw this at Llandow - it's a very tidy piece of kit.

Pete

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Mon May 31, 2010 8:16 am

Yeap, have one in my Phoenix.

matt_gsxr

Postby matt_gsxr » Mon May 31, 2010 12:57 pm

Jeff, how long are the arms that you are using (I mean where is the droplink bolted relative to the ARB axis)?

Just trying to work out stiffnesses on this. Can't get much information on what folk are running.

Thanks,

Matt

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon May 31, 2010 1:33 pm

The car is away at the moment so I can't tell you. I like what you have done restricting the side to side movement....I shall steal the idea.

My bar doesn't have as many holes in it as yours (from memory) and my outer looks like your middle.

matt_gsxr

Postby matt_gsxr » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:32 am

Jeff,

Yes, I asked for long arms (these are 6inch total). Outer holes are at 17, 15.5, 14, 12.5, 11, 9.5, 8cm

Rubber pipe and tie wrap mod/bodge was copied from Rob, although the distances from the mounts to the pivots is shorter on the Phoenix (than Stylus) so it ends up slightly neater.

On other points/modifications to Rob's standard;

Top shock mounting; 1/2inch Socket Cap bolts used instead of the stock bolts (otherwise you can't tighten them)
Bottom shock mounting; Bolt spaced out by 10mm with washers to allow nut to be undone without removing the ARB
Drop links; trimmed by 1.5inch versus Rob standard and re-tapped (cunningly I did this in two steps so didn't have to start a thread)
Underfloor strengthener; redrilled for 2 holes

I am not unhappy with how it all goes together, but...
If I were doing this again and from scratch (or selling chassis), then I would mount the ARB in front of the shocks, with the arms coming backwards, and weld crush tubes into the lower chassis rail. The ARB length would have been a bit shorter (maybe 360mm) so it would be restrained side-to-side by the mounts, it would allow fairly long arms without worrying about either the angle of the drop-links or the problems of walloping the engine (not an issue in a BEC). This is difficult to do once the car has been built as access to these holes is really difficult (my reason for not doing this).

Still interested in what ARB's folk are running (diameter(s) (plural only if not solid), length, arms), as there is a lot of range out there and I'd like to get in the ball park.

Matt

RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Postby RobMsport » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:19 pm

Matt , you say your outside front is worn considerably ------- is it worn on the outer edge or the inner edge OR evenly across the tread :?: OR is it worn more in the centre :?: You were running ACB10's from memory so at what pressure :?: Also remember that you'd have a lot more grip than most guys on track that day with ACB10's so with the right hand track that's the tyre that'll take the punishment ;)
A session on track to set it up -- you bring the tools :lol:

matt_gsxr

Postby matt_gsxr » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:23 pm

Rob,

If only I had half of your practical understanding of this stuff.

The inner was more warn than the outer (this is my fault as I don't have the camber right for ACB's).

My whole approach was rather haphazard as although I set the pressures at 18psi, I didn't recheck once warmed. All around very amateur. I had a few other minor problems (losing oil, gearchange, oil surge, concerns about getting home at the end of the day in a sick car), and was just enjoying being there, so I let myself down a bit on the recording of information.

Fortunately Abingdon goes the other way around, so we can even up the wear on front tyres, and you can show me how to drive.

Not for a few weeks though, as I am presently addressing my poor driving skills by adding power (bigger throttle bodies, and new airbox), sorting the oil surge with an Accusump, and working out how to stop the oil leaks (although I might just resort to buying the stuff in larger quantities!).

Matt

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:35 am

and working out how to stop the oil leaks (although I might just resort to buying the stuff in larger quantities!).

Lol :D

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Postby petercoll » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:54 am

matt_gsxr wrote: .... although I might just resort to buying the stuff in larger quantities !

Are you sure it isn't a crossflow .....

Pete

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”