Farley ARB in Phoenix

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
matt_gsxr
Name: Matthew Robson

Re: Farley ARB in Phoenix

Postby matt_gsxr » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:26 am

Just as an update on the ARB.

It seems you need to retighten the bolts to the ARB after a few miles (less then 250miles it would seem). I suspect the paint rubs off and leaves them loose.

One of my bolts had completely fallen off, which was a bit annoying (the damage from the flailing drop link was minimal fortunately). These bolts have a nylock on them, but it hasn't got a chance as once the bolt is not tight (FT) the shear forces end up doing a job on the bolt.

Anyway, back together now, not a big deal but thought it worth noting.

Matt

RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Postby RobMsport » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:58 am

Mine have never come loose . The one's normally to re-check are the poly clamp to chassis bolts. If you remember when we talked I did say to pull them up VERY tight . My ' old ' arms must still have a little muscle left then :lol:

If there's any doubt about the thread passing the nyloc then grind a little from each tophat spacer at the narrow end , as I said when we were in the shed looking at my own fitting ;)
You're the 3rd one to have this happen now :oops: Do more press-ups ;)

matt_gsxr

Postby matt_gsxr » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:54 am

Rob,

I should have checked them, just forgot.

I have replaced those fancy rod joint spacers (well the two that aren't lost) with spring washers, these allow the rod-end to articulate, but keep the drop links closer to the ARB,hence reducing torque on the M8 bolt. The thread was going through the nylock, its just that nylocks can resist a bit of vibration but not the kind of forces experienced in this environment (I am assuming it came undone).

Will tighten things up nice and tight.

Thanks,

Matt

p.s. on the battery, I decided to go with a Hayabusa one, only £50 and slight more juicy than the Varley-8

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:05 pm

The rodend articulates within it's housing --- I strongly recommend you put the spacers in because there's no way the rodend will be gripped properly using spring washers and that will result in the bolt becoming the pivot . If the spring washers are tightened sufficiently to allow the ''rodend'' to be the pivot , then they will cease to be spring washers ;)

matt_gsxr

Postby matt_gsxr » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:59 am

Agreed, it is no longer a spring washer, it is 100% compressed so it is just a thick small diameter washer with a slot in it.

It is pivoting as it was designed to, and the rod end is now closer to the ARB arm, this decreases the nasty torque on the bolt from the long spacer. I don't doubt the bolt is strong enough to handle it, but it upsets my sensibilities.

I think I will replace the spring washer with a shorter spacer, there is very little misalignment here so I have ordered up some of those.

Matt

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:29 pm

You should have phoned me , I could have sent you some to grind down . Glad you intend using spacers ;)

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”