Which kit? Which engine?

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Ian Kelly
Name: Ian Kelly

Which kit? Which engine?

Postby Ian Kelly » Wed May 26, 2010 10:38 am

Hi,

Just thinking about a possible build over the winter, not fully decided yet, but have started thinking about engines. I've got an R1 Fury which is fast, light and quite a raw experience. Totally addictive, but works best when being wrung out.

What other recent engines have people seriously considered for a front engine \ RWD kit, apart from bikes and Ford? I've heard of an S2000 being built, and they do look like reasonable value for 240hp and 9k revs, with a great 6 speed box.

What about the Toyota 190hp engine as used in some Lotus Elises? Can that be attached to a decent gearbox? I've been in some cars with standard Ford 'boxes and the ratio's can be a bit strange in some installs.

I'd like something with 200hp or more, and light weight is still important. M3 3.0 engines are also not 'too' expensive for the 280+hp, but would it fit in a Fury? Suspect not.

The next biggie is what kit to put it in. I want something with a windscreen, so J15 is out, and want full bodywork. Apart from the Fury and GKD Evolution, options seem limited.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Ian

matt_gsxr
Name: Matthew Robson

Re: Which kit? Which engine?

Postby matt_gsxr » Wed May 26, 2010 11:48 am

s2000 are supposed to be quite tall but if you could fit one in it would be nice.

s2000 differential is 4.1:1, and that gives it a top speed of 150+ on 16inch wheels. Not sure what diff you would need with smaller wheels, but the range of Sierra diffs might be a bit limiting. Worth doing some sums before hitting the "buy it now" button.

Matt

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Wed May 26, 2010 11:58 am

S2000 is a great bit of kit but it's a big lump. Same goes for the M3 engine.

adrian

PS Car engine...scab!!!

Chet
Name: Chet Galek

Postby Chet » Wed May 26, 2010 7:12 pm

Fyi - One of my first customers here in the USA tried to fit an S2000 engine in a Fury.

He had a shop do a lot of frame rework before giving up on the project. The S2000 engine is very tall and the belhousing is very large for the Fury.

Strongly suggest using the Hayabusa with the Koenig billet oil pan with swivel pickup.

Chet

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Postby petercoll » Thu May 27, 2010 8:01 am

Ian - what are you going to use the car for ?

Pete

Ian Kelly
Name: Ian Kelly

Postby Ian Kelly » Thu May 27, 2010 2:13 pm

Hi Pete,

I'll use the car for weekends away, Sunday blasts and longer distance trips, probably not for track days (I don't want to create another stripped out car). Idealling it would have a boot, doors, a usable soft top and be a decent fast cruiser as well as good on the twisties. The 3.0 M3 engine and S2000 are still favourites at the moment, although they both have their difficulties install-wise.

Other car's I've ruled out are -

Adrenaline Murtaya - don't really want 4WD (or FWD!).
Cobra's \ Healey's
Anything mid engined
7 type cars (want full bodywork)

I'd like a properly designed spaceframe chassis, relatively light (<800kg) and I want to build it myself. It needs to be IRS too.

Something like a Stylus would be good, but maybe just slightly larger. I honestly can't think of anything, apart from another Fury or the GKD, and I don't think the GKD is a looker. Maybe I should convine the missus to get a cheap MX5!!

Adrian - can I have a ride in your Fury to compare windscreen vs. aeroscreen?

Cheers,

Ian

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Thu May 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Of course you can. See your messages for when.

adrian

Dodger
Name: Roger Hammond

Postby Dodger » Fri May 28, 2010 6:31 pm

Lee who is building the S2000 Fury sent BGH the engine and box when he ordered the chassis so had no problems there. He did get it uncoated so he could fit extra brackets etc during the build.

It is now nearing completion and the bonnet does close over the engine with reasonable ground clearance. Le mans bonnet with bulge I think.

easisatman
Name: Paul Duval

Postby easisatman » Fri May 28, 2010 11:20 pm

how about Raw's fulcrum with a duratec engine?
regards
Paul

matt_gsxr
Name: Matthew Robson

Postby matt_gsxr » Sat May 29, 2010 10:19 am

You can get dry sump kits for s2000, which would help with the height/ground clearances problem.

What about RX8 engine?

~225bhp, a bit like a bike engine (revs highish, light weight)
a bit like a car engine (reverse gear)

I wouldn't want one in my daily driver (rotor tip wear, fuel consumption) but would be nice in a Fury where these are not real problems. No idea on the practicalities of the install, but these rotaries are popular with modifiers (internationally even if not so much in the UK).

Matt

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”