Phoenix Chassis Repair

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
phoenixphil
Name: Philip Horne

Phoenix Chassis Repair

Postby phoenixphil » Sun May 16, 2010 9:06 pm

My Phoenix has suffered a broken chassis at the rear where the lower wishbone connects. I assume this will need to be cut out and replaced. Can anyone suggest any suitable companies in the Northamptonshire/Cambridgeshire region who could undertake the repair. Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: Phoenix Chassis Repair

Postby jeffw » Sun May 16, 2010 10:25 pm

Caged now own the rights for this chassis (through Rainbird Racing) http://www.therollcagepeople.com/
The other alternative would be BGH Geartech who own Fisher Sportscars or Cyana who have rights to the Phoenix as well.

jimgiblett
Name: Jim Giblett

Postby jimgiblett » Mon May 17, 2010 3:25 pm

Oh the old broken lower suspension pickup problem. I had exactly the same happen on my old Phoenix.

Firstly the rear lower wishbone pick up. To fix get it welded back together and some additional tragulation bracing (i went vertically from the pickup point to horizontal bar. Then have a 3/4" ID tube with a threaded insert welded in at each end and an M12 fem rose joint. This bar may need a bend in it to clear the tank. By using longer suspension bolts this bar can then link the O/S and nearside pickups.

Secondly the front lower wishbone pickup. With the rear fixed the front becomes the weak point as I found out). This happened on a trackday and KCW recovered the car welded up the break and strengthened by welding in some large gussets. You may as well have this done while the rest is being fixed,

Once these repairs and mods were done never had any problems and neither has Lee C. Just a shame these fixes werent done in the factory.

I would give ProComp a call (they are used to fixing Furys with similar problems)

http://www.procomp.co.uk/

Cheers

Jim

matt_gsxr
Name: Matthew Robson

Postby matt_gsxr » Mon May 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Later ones had the 3/4inch tube (and longer bolts) that Jim is talking about installed from the start. see picture (sorry it is so large, and at a jaunty angle)

jimgiblett
Name: Jim Giblett

Postby jimgiblett » Mon May 17, 2010 3:49 pm

Yep thats the one. But I got mine from STM so I think Phil will have to get one made (not complicated).

Nice sledge Matt (I've got one just like that in my Garage too) :D

- Jim

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”