Gaz shock settings

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
The Knobs
Name: Tim Price

Gaz shock settings

Postby The Knobs » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:02 pm

What is a good starting setting for Gaz on a track car with a real car engine in it ?

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Re: Gaz shock settings

Postby adithorp » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:49 pm

Thats a bit like asking "I've got a piece of string. Does anybody know how long it is?
There's a lot of things that affect it; springs, weight, etc.

adrian

The Knobs

Postby The Knobs » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:58 pm

Hence 'starting point ' as I know most shocks for kit cars only use about four of the available clicks anyway.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:39 pm

Well as a rule of thumb, no alternative, low tech starting point... I'd do an old fashioned bump test.
Bounce the car and watch it settle. From one good downward push you want to see the car bounce back past it's resting position and then settle to it's rest position. Set them to the lowest setting that will give you this down, up, down, stop. After that it's just a case of experimenting.

adrian

The Knobs

Postby The Knobs » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:56 pm

The only worrying thing is that i may be doing the experimenting at Spa as a first try of the car :)

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Postby petercoll » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:42 pm

What date ?

Pete

The Knobs wrote:The only worrying thing is that i may be doing the experimenting at Spa as a first try of the car :)

The Knobs

Postby The Knobs » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:49 pm

1st April with LOT and the other dates over Easter, so really need to get a move on with putting it back together. Dash is out, engine is out, wiring to sort, seats to fit, rolling road etc etc ......

RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Postby RobMsport » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Without knowing car weight , spring lbs , tyre pressures --- it's an approximation BUT is also about car balance NOT merely absorbing shock . Having said all that I'd set the front shocks , starting from 0 click/1st up --- to one third the total clicks of the shock , whether they have 14 or 30 ie. 4 to 5 or 10 . The rear I'd set to two thirds the total clicks ok. Tyre pressures 16 to 18 max YOKO 17 TO 19 TOYO all round . The variance is only to cover your various body weights :roll:
This should give you a slightly oversteering car under provocation in the dry . This is just a safe starting point after which track driving will find out the ideal balance.

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”