Too cold... brrr

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Fizzer

Too cold... brrr

Postby Fizzer » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:11 pm

We have just been out for the afternoon, it was Camilla's first trip in the car since I started changing the engine last year. Turns out it was chillier than we thought and by 5PM we were freezing.
This was slightly embarrasing as I'd been boasting this morning about my new mini heater and how lovely and warm it was :oops: oops
The problem is the temp guage was reading 40 degrees on the open road and only 55 or so in town, maybe 60 at the lights. It's really struggling to keep the temp up.
Should I simply cover half the rad in foil while it's this cold? To be honest, my rad looks huge pretty big and I'm worried that running the engine so cold is going to do it damage. It also renders the heater pretty useless as the water temp was so low.
Any advice?
It's a 2.0 blacktop Zetec by the way :)
Live Axle Fisher Fury: 2lt Blacktop Zetec, Newman cams, Tiger shallow sump, lightened flywheel, grumbly webers, willwood calipers + disk kit.

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: Too cold... brrr

Postby jeffw » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:37 pm

What rad have you got in it ?

Fizzer

Postby Fizzer » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:46 am

I'm not sure what car its from, it measures 24" by 13"

edit:
just read this article:
http://www.emeng.gentlyhosting.co.uk/Cooling/Part1.htm
which seems to suggest that you should implement the Mondeo type bypass which doesn't allow any flow through the radiator until the thermostat opens at 80 degrees or so.

The problem is, mines already plumbed like this! Unless I've been a complete spud (or there's something wrong with my thermostat) there should be any flow through the radiator at all at these low temperatures...

hmmm :?
Live Axle Fisher Fury: 2lt Blacktop Zetec, Newman cams, Tiger shallow sump, lightened flywheel, grumbly webers, willwood calipers + disk kit.

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Postby petercoll » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:44 pm

I would check/replace your thermostat.

Pete

Fizzer

Postby Fizzer » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:37 pm

It seems you're right :(
started the car and the big pipe from the 'stat heated up v quickly - I guess that means it's knackered. I went for a spin and used foil tape on the rad and managed to get the temp up to 60 on the open road and 70 in town. OK for a temporary fix I suppose.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:24 pm

I'd concur with Pete. Change the 'stat; Thats what controls the temp, not the rad'. Rad' only really effects the temp if it's not big enough.

adrian

NeilEverett
Name: Neil Everett

Postby NeilEverett » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:28 am

My mojo is now up to 90deg in under 10mins from a cold start in sub zero temps. Prior to a stat change a year or so back, it really struggled to get over 80 even on a long run, so sounds like you have a similar (but more severe) problem to me. Change the stat - it's a pretty easy job.
Sylva Mojo 2.0 Zetec on GSXR750 throttle bodies...
www.mymojo.co.uk - Facebook feed

Fizzer

Postby Fizzer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:54 pm

interpart is my friend. should have the part in my hand tomorrow lunchtime for a tenner :)
any tips on fitting, or is it just obvious? I should know I suppose as it was sitting on my bench for a few days during the engine swap, I never thought to look inside it :roll:

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”