Exhaust wrap

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
cheslop
Name: Chris Heslop

Exhaust wrap

Postby cheslop » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:55 am

Hi,

Has anybody had experience of using exhaust wrap (good or bad) I am thinking of using some on my x flow powered striker to reduce the under bonnet temp. I have been told it will mean the heat has to escape further down the exhaut system i.e. at the silencer.
Chris H.

Chet
Name: Chet Galek

Re: Exhaust wrap

Postby Chet » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:39 pm

FYI -
Wrapped exhaust can definitely cause "hot spots" and potential fire situations along with seriously shortening pipe life.

Strongly suggest you consider using the "ceramic" type coatings instead.

Chet

cheslop

Postby cheslop » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:20 pm

Chet,

Thank for the advice, I might even look at a stainless steel manifold rather than painting or coating the old steel one.
Chris

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Postby petercoll » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:38 pm

Chris,

There are all sorts of horror stories regarding exhaust wrap on Furys - a hot spot inside the sill can be disastrous. I have never heard of an issue on Strikers though.

Pete

Edd

Postby Edd » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:52 am

Following on from Peter's comment. Exhaust wrap is evil! Although I have also not heard of Striker problems, even if there is a pinhole in the wrap that points onto the bonnet you are asking for trouble! I also think you will be hiding another problem i.e. Why is the air getting hot under the bonnet? Strikers shouldn't need to get hot under the bonnet, what have you got in your front grill? Try ducting the grill inlet to force air to the rad first. Also the original Striker layout with the rad laid back isn't the best solution once you have a tuned engine as the air 'flows' over it and not through it?
Is temp ok at standing?
Not sure this helps,
Edd.

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Postby petercoll » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:28 pm

Probably worth adding that I have just added exhaust wrap to my Striker - will let you know how it goes.

I did some underbonnet temperature measurements a while ago, and found that whilst the temp at the carb inlets became incredibly high when stationary, it dropped massively on the move, closer to ambient. As Edd says, the flow of air through the engine bay should be quite high, particularly if the bonnet is vented in some way to allow air out.

Pete

cheslop

Postby cheslop » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:12 pm

Many thanks for the useful thoughts on the exhaust wrap, when on the move i.e. over 25-30mph all is ok with the temperature, my problems is when in slow moving traffic it does get rather hot (esp. in the summer) this would not be a problem if I only used the car for weekend runs, but I try to use the car several times a week including going to work in London. The electric fan does do a good job, but at slow speeds it is quite a drain on the battery. I might try the exhaust wrap later in the year.
Chris

cheslop

Postby cheslop » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:15 pm

Forgot to mention I have just made some holes in both ends of the bonnet and still need to see how much of a difference it makes.
Chris

Chet
Name: Chet Galek

Postby Chet » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:52 pm

FYI -
I have some extensive experience with exhaust wrap and now that other options are available such as ceramic coating, I strongly suggest not using it. Besides being a safety concern in enclosed areas, the wrap tends to cause the exhaust pipes to fail in a relatively short time.

Chet

Richie1485
Name: Richard Prowse

Postby Richie1485 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:04 pm

Hi, I've been looking at ceramic coatings for my Ducati exhaust and I've found this company near Oxford.

http://www.zircotec.com/index.php

Not only do they do ceramic coating they also sell a ceramic/foil heat proof mat that would be great inside of the side pods and under bonnets to protect the GRP.

Richard

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”