Exhaust wrap

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Maverick440
Name: Mark Taylor

Re: Exhaust wrap

Postby Maverick440 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:20 pm

Ive used exhaust wrap with no problems on my Striker and on my 800bhp drag car (yes she was road legal) with no problems.
Definatly reduses under bonnet tems plus because it keeps the temp in the exhaust header, it speed up the velocity of the exhaust gas and gives a few extra BHP..... :D
Production cars (super cars) use a similar method by efectivly duble glazzing the exhaust header by creatingg an air gap between two walls of metal.

When you wrap, make sure its damp (keep the dust down plus lets it strech) wrap it tight and make sure you overlap by 50%.Once let it dry properly and then spray in VHT paint to seal the wrap.

Run the engine (beware it smokes like hell and smells even worse) to cure the wrap / paint.

On my striker i wrap so that it just protrudes from the bonnet opening.

If you wnt i can post some pics.

cheslop
Name: Chris Heslop

Postby cheslop » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:14 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have now decided that a new manifold is the way to go. A company near me called Powerspeed Auto Ltd are able to make one up, has anybody experience of mild steel vs. stainless steel manifolds ? or does it come down to personal preference.

Chris.

Maverick440
Name: Mark Taylor

Postby Maverick440 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:30 pm

Stainless last forever but makes the ehaust "ring" and look good but is a sod to bend... :D
Mild steel is cheap, easy to bend but rusts and looks poo..................................... :o

Go for stainless........................ :D

cheslop
Name: Chris Heslop

Postby cheslop » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:24 pm

Looks like stainless then, Powerflow say they might even be able to do it in one day for me (drive in and drive out) and about £100 more than a mild steel one

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”