Rear mods to fit 13" wheels on sierra striker

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
The Knobs
Name: Tim Price

Rear mods to fit 13" wheels on sierra striker

Postby The Knobs » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:07 pm

Can anyone tell me what is needed to fit 13" wheels to the rear of my Striker ? Will the TD1.2 13" X 7" fit over the standard upright with just changing to rose joints, and what do I ask for when buying the joints ? If someone could post up photos and a 'how to' guide then hopefully I could do it myself. Just about to order some wheels so would be nice if I could fit them :)

Ian Kelly
Name: Ian Kelly

Re: Rear mods to fit 13" wheels on sierra striker

Postby Ian Kelly » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:37 am

I've got 13" CXR's on my IRS Fury with standard uprights and Sierra calipers. Not sure if the IRS Striker set up is the same?? I did try 13" Ford 4-spokes but they didn't clear the calipers.

Ian

Strikerxe
Name: John Richards

Postby Strikerxe » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:35 pm

The Knobs wrote:Can anyone tell me what is needed to fit 13" wheels to the rear of my Striker ? Will the TD1.2 13" X 7" fit over the standard upright with just changing to rose joints, and what do I ask for when buying the joints ? If someone could post up photos and a 'how to' guide then hopefully I could do it myself. Just about to order some wheels so would be nice if I could fit them :)

I tried this a couple of years ago and gave up in the end :( If I remember correctly you'll need new or modified uprights and lower wishbones . The standard RAW set up doesn't ( or at least didn't ) take a 13" wheel and Mel used to sell a different wishbone and upright set up to take a 13" wheel . I modified my standard wishbones to take rose joints and faffed about for ages but couldn't get a 13" x 7" CXR to fit . I think the 13" wheel upright is not as tall so it may be possible to modify what you've got as well as modify the wishbones to take rose joints . The final off putting thing for me was when I tried a wheel on the front there was only about 1mm clearance between the track rod end and the wheel rim :o The Team Dynamic wheels may be slightly different though . If you decide to have a go see if you can borrow a wheel to try ( thats what I did )

I went for 15" OZ ultraleggra wheels in the end which are pretty light , shame the tyres are so heavy :!: I'm not sure there's such a good selection of tyres for sprinting and/or racing available in 15" either so perhaps I should tried harder :oops:

Mel at Raw is the man to talk to .

John

JohnEM
Name: John Manser

Postby JohnEM » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:32 pm

Well I have managed it with RS2000 wheels 6inch I think, I still have drum brakes on the rear and its IRS, the main problem was the lower bolt through the wishbone. With help the Nylock nuts were cut to half length and then used an angle grinder to shorten the bolts and even chamfer the bolt head.
The bolt nearly touches the inside of the wheel as it thickens used 5 mm spacer.
On the front (Sierra uprights and callipers) I had no real problems just used a 3 mm spacer.
John.

The Knobs

Postby The Knobs » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:35 pm

I have spoken to mel and its basically £300 for all the parts to fit 13" wheels to the rear. I assume that they will fit on the front as it has the latest ally uprights and willwood brakes. Could do with some wheels to trial fit really.

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:01 pm

I went from 15" to 13" at the start of last season.

Front, (Capri uprights, alloy hubs, Bremsport 4-pot callipers) goes under Team Dynamics Pro-Race 1.2 13x7 rim without trouble (at least with my e23 offset). Closest points are the ends of the steering arms, which have ca. 7mm of clearance.

Rear is another matter. I have a Sierra based IRS system. The standard lower wishbones did not come close to fitting. Mods to lower wishbones and Rose joints solved the problem of space and allowed Caterham style toe adjustment.

I have some pics (not very good as they show the system in place on a cluttered car) available if you would like.

HTH
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

The Knobs

Postby The Knobs » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:06 pm

David, some pictures would be great. I am going to go for the TD wheels so hopefully just the rear rod ends will need doing.

David

Postby David » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:29 pm

I did warn that they might be of limited use!

The Knobs

Postby The Knobs » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:05 pm

David, did you get the two tie rods with rod ends made, then cut off the old part of the wishbone and weld the bracket on to hold the rear tie rod ? If so, where did you source the tie rods from ? On mine the top of the upright looks like it might hit aswell as the bottom wishbone bolts. Will have to get a wheel and see where its going to hit. Not sure if the Raw 13" upright and bottom wishbone are adjustable or just a smaller replacement, will have to check.

I would rather just do a modification like you have done and get added adjustment at the same time.

Oh, and anti roll bar too I see.

David

Postby David » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Tim
I have to admit that I had the whole thing done by Nigel at Cougar, whose engineering expertise I trust. He did mod the old wishbones. Also made the ARBs.
David

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”