Cost of a supercharged engine

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Bi22le
Name: Wayne Brown

Cost of a supercharged engine

Postby Bi22le » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 pm

Hi as above really. I hopefully will soon own a blacktop 20v 4age striker. Just thinking of how much scope to improve the engine. Its pretty stock at the mo so expecting 150hp. I think is has an aftermarket ECU and lightened flywheel thats about it. What steps and what are the costs to get more power. I have heard that 20v blacktops are best left with little mods and if you want to supercharge an engine use a silvertop 16V as they are more robust.

Thoughts?

The Knobs
Name: Tim Price

Re: Cost of a supercharged engine

Postby The Knobs » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:15 pm

You will need a silvertop to start with unless you are going to build a new bottom end with lower compression pistons and better rods. I have a Silvertop going spare as a good starting point. I bought Justins supercharged engine complete and am building a better bottom end as we speak.

Werner Van Loock
Name: Werner Van Loock

Postby Werner Van Loock » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:15 pm

talk to "the knobs" on here, he's doing one, might be silvertop though.

http://www.jpsc-online.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=230

Bi22le

Postby Bi22le » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:48 pm

knobs how much did your pre built supercharged engine cost if you dont mind me asking? Im hopefully buying justins current striker. It has the original blacktop in. It seems a very nice car.
Nobody has actually given me a cost. 4k im thinking?

The Knobs
Name: Tim Price

Postby The Knobs » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:20 pm

The kit is £3000 + VAt from Omex plus a silvertop engine. You can reuse your ecu plus the kit and that should be it. I have built a stronger bottom end as mine has a bigger s/c and more boost so I decided while it was apart to fit steel rods and forged low compression pistons. I would say £4K to £4500 is about right without taking the engine apart. I have a spare silvertop I bought sat in the garage if you do decide to go the s/c route.

Bi22le

Postby Bi22le » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:23 pm

cheers for the info. As i said before, i am looking bt getting justins old raw. Hopefully the stock blacktop should keep me happy for a while. If you still have the silvertop in about 3 years i may be interested. Need to get the car first!

AndyHamp
Name: Andy Hampshire

Postby AndyHamp » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:47 am

Hi,

i have a SC Striker. Mines a Mazda BP series 1.8 engine (MX5) with a Rotrex blower.

I really don't know what it cost, but the major costs (very approximately) were the blower £1400, big injectors £300, Inter cooler £300, brackets, hoses, pipes and airfilters ... add on £200 ... then there was some fabrication work and fibre glass work .... c £500. Then get the car rolling roaded and mapped (done by Dave walker from Emerald) c £500. All in all around the £3000-3500 mark .....

Let me know if there's anything i can do to help.

Cheers .... Andy
Didn't know what I was doing when I started ... still don't ten years later !

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”