Storage space in Fury

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Ian Kelly
Name: Ian Kelly

Storage space in Fury

Postby Ian Kelly » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:55 am

Hi,

Has anyone got pictures of how they've converted the unused side pod into a storage area? I'm especially interested in access from under the bonnet, and how you prevent 'loads' of water going in (I know it will let some water in, just don't want it to be flooded). Also, is it worth creating access to the pod from inside the car? I think it probably is. If so, pictures would again be welcome.

I also want to make the rear deck a little more useful, at present it's just open to the elements and I've already lost a favourite jacket from under there due to the back draft. Has anyone come up with a way of sealing from the elements? Again, not expecting it to be watertight, just don't want to lose any more possessions! I was thinking of maybe a zip \ vecro strip of vinyl?

Got a long jaunt planned for the summer, so need to find space for a tent, sleeping bag, clothes for 10 days, etc.

Any guidance appreciated, thanks,

Ian

Werner Van Loock
Name: Werner Van Loock

Re: Storage space in Fury

Postby Werner Van Loock » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:27 am

Buy a Stylus? ;)

Fury1630
Name: Tony Hart

Postby Fury1630 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:52 pm

I gained some lokable storage under the boot floor (IRS car), & stuffed the (unused) pod with a battery, oil pressure remote sensors, electronic ignition, alarm siren & screenwash tank. I don't think a lot of water goes down there, seen no evidence of it.

I rivetted a door to the upper pod mount (so it stays on the car when the pod comes off) & that's worked perfectly well. I guess you'd need a bigger door than I've got, so you might want to brace the pod with alloy angle to stop it sagging outwards under the weight of luggage. This is a build photo before I put the Dzus fasteners on.

If you want it watertight, you might be better putting the luggage in a watertight bag inside the pod. I'm sure a boat chandler's could recommend something.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Low Commotion" Quite possibly the slowest Fury.........................................................................in the world.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:21 pm

I've got my side pod (drivers side) divided into two. There's a lockable lid on the inside one and I use it as a glovebox although it would hold more stuff if I wanted to. The engine end is used for spares/tools and has a lid with 2 turn-buckle catches. They both let a small amount of water in in extreme conditions and I'm gradually sealing the leaks as I find them.

I blocked off the inner bit to the engine bay with an ally' panel PU'd into place. the divider is also PU'd in place. The rear is blocked off where the rectangular panel finishes. The holes have ally' angle frame around them to form a lip and keep water out and the lids have rubber seals.

The boot is covered by my tonneu and a cargo net. I have thought of fitting a cargo net accross the passenger side from the top body edge down to the chassis top rail to give more storage.

adrian

adithorp

Postby adithorp » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:23 pm

Where are you going on your road trip?

adrian

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Postby petercoll » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:25 pm

You can buy waterproof bags that appear to be a similar shape to the side pods on a Fury. Probably ideal for the longer trip.

Google "Ortlieb Dry Bag".

Pete

adithorp

Postby adithorp » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:37 am

There are other solutions posible as well.

This is John Bonnets Phoenix (if the links work)... Edit. they didn't work so look in the files section here...

http://groups.google.com/group/sylva-chat/files

I'm thinking of making something similar. John's is strong enough to sit on apparently.

Lee Chapman has extended the front and inner panels of his Pheonix side-pod up as far as the bonnet so that he can fill the space in (and above) the pod with kitbags and the bonnet forms the lid.

adrian

Ian Kelly
Name: Ian Kelly

Postby Ian Kelly » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:34 pm

Thanks gents,

I'm going on a 'Tour of the Alps' with Jim Giblett and a few others. Heading off for 10 days in June, aiming to get to Italy (via Stelvio!), Monte Carlo, Mont Ventoux, Switzerland, etc. Best stock up on ear plugs!

I've got a few things to do to the Fury, storage space being one. I'm also thinking of fitting a bigger (and tranparent) aeroscreen. I sit low down in the car, and the smoked screens I have block my view on the hilly bits.

Think I'll definitely create access to the side pod from in the car and under the bonnet. Then I need to find somewhere to put the travel fridge :lol:

Thanks again,

Ian

adithorp

Postby adithorp » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:15 pm

Travel fridge??? ...and people have a dig at me because I've got a cup holder!

I went to the Ventoux last year cycling (to watch the tour).If get there try and do all 3 routes up it. Bedoin side is the classic Tour du France route, but Sault is the quietest and still does the top of the classic bit accross the moonscape. Malacerne side will be the best in a car (as it is coming down on a bike) great bends and surface (mostly). The nearby Gorge de Nesque is worth a drive as well on the way to Sault.

Writing that has got be wanting to come along...

adrian

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”