Mounting bullet cameras

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Mounting bullet cameras

Postby petercoll » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:28 pm

Ok, now I have bought Tom's camera setup, I need to fit a bullet camera or two to the roll bar on my Striker.

What does anyone else recommend as a cheap way of doing this ? Pics would be good.

Thanks,

Pete

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: Mounting bullet cameras

Postby jeffw » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:25 am

The cheapest way to do it is tiewraps....however there are a number of options here http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/roll-bar-cage-mounts.htm

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:32 pm

Peter

I have the Dogcam mount but don't use it. It looks too easy to knock out of alignment and projects the camera so far forward that I'm afraid of shake or (worse still) catching it with my helmet. Instead I use a large jubilee clip around the roll-over bar to hold a small jubilee clip round the camera. Both camera and bar are protected from the clip by thin (3mm) rubber. Result is DVD quality stable. YouTube sized example can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3sx02chvtY

HTH

David
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

petercoll

Postby petercoll » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:25 am

Thanks David,

I am going for a simple approach like you describe, perhaps with an exhaust clamp.
Will post some pics in due course, but haven't managed to get to the car properly in this "fresh" weather.

Pete

petercoll

Postby petercoll » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:27 am

Currently working on something similar to the approach my brother has taken here.

Pete

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:21 pm

Peter

Mount shown is undoubtedly beautiful -- but not easy to adjust in the vertical rotational plane.
Also, wrt the position of your brother's cam -- after much experimentation, I've decided that a mount central in the car at around driver's eye height (cross brace or underneath roll-over bar) produces the most compelling video. You can see driver movements, gear changes, shift lights, and (possibly even) instruments in addition to the track. On a se7en you can possibly also see the front wheels.

HTH
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

beemer
Name: Tony lans

Postby beemer » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:51 pm

Maybe to get some vertical rotation on the above mount either use just one of the bolt holes with the clamp or slot both holes in the plate, but I like the idea :)

petercoll

Postby petercoll » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:45 pm

Thanks David.

I intend mounting my bullet cams on the roll bar diagonal brace as you describe - one pointing forward, the other backward.
I have spent 2 hours so far today just trying to get power to the back of the car for this lot - almost there !

Pete

David wrote:Peter

Mount shown is undoubtedly beautiful -- but not easy to adjust in the vertical rotational plane.
Also, wrt the position of your brother's cam -- after much experimentation, I've decided that a mount central in the car at around driver's eye height (cross brace or underneath roll-over bar) produces the most compelling video. You can see driver movements, gear changes, shift lights, and (possibly even) instruments in addition to the track. On a se7en you can possibly also see the front wheels.

HTH

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”