Phoenix Dashboard mounting

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Phoenix Dashboard mounting

Postby jeffw » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:49 pm

My Phoenix has it's dashboard attached to the frame hoop on the lower part of the dash but nothing on the top. I can't see any way of bolting the dash to anything at the top of it....I wondered what other people have done. It would be nice to have 4-6 bolts along the top as this would make the whole thing more secure....

So show me how you did it in your Phoenix or Fury ?

jeffw

Re: Phoenix Dashboard mounting

Postby jeffw » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:56 pm

No one fitted a dash to a Phoenix or Fury then ?

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Postby petercoll » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:36 pm

Jeff,

By coincidence I was looking at my Striker dashboard on Sunday. Assuming your Phoenix is similar, then there is nothing obvious to attach the top of the dashboard to.

My Striker has a square section bar across the top which the aeroscreen attaches to, but you can't attach the dashboard to it as it stands. What i did was make some small L-shaped aluminium brackets, pop rivet this to the underside of the square section bar, leaving a tab to attach the dashboard to. I put a rivnut into each of these (the other side of the "L"), giving me something to bolt the dashboard to. You can put as many of these as you want along the square section bar.

I can take some pics next weekend when the dashboard is probably coming out completely.

Pete

MattD
Name: Matt Downes

Postby MattD » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:46 am

Mine is mounted similar to Pete's method.

I've got ali strip, with one end folded 90'. Both ends have a rivnut fitted.
There's 4 of these mounted through the windscreen surround (the GRP edge where the rubber windscreen trim slips on).

My aeroscreen then mounts in the same way, but covering over the dash mounts.

DSC_3844.JPG
DSC_5618.JPG
DSC_5618a1.jpg

Obviously a bit late for you, if you've got a windscreen bonded in already :?
If you do go this route, make sure the strips are long enough (& the bolt heads far enough out) so that you can still get a screwdriver,etc
on the mounting bolts with the glass fitted.

Rgds, Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Postby RobMsport » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:27 pm

On the Stylus , I bonded (you could Sikaflex) 5 alloy 2mm thick 90 degree angled pieces to the top edge of the fibreglass or very close to it. The piece that ends up horizontal is rivnuted then the carbon or plastic top dash can sit on them and s/s dome heads screwed through holes in the top , into the rivnuts. I'm too lazy these days to take time unscrewing and refitting 5 of them so just do the 2 outer ones plus a middle one and to be honest it's quite adequate.

I'll try to remember to take a photo when the dash is next off :roll:

PS. Don't do what I did though ---- make sure the alloy strips are at least 75mm long with the rivnut right at one end THEN , when the screen's in it's easier to undo them with the allen key :oops:

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:43 pm

Thanks Guys. Obviously on the Phoenix I have no bonded screen. I do like Rob's method and would certainly resolve my issue :)

Fury1630
Name: Tony Hart

Postby Fury1630 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:23 pm

I did similar to the method in the photos, but as the Fury has a bonded full screen, I drilled & csk the screen surround & araldited some longish 5mm csk bolts in. I then bolted an aly strip to each, & layed the dashtop on, bent the aly strips to match the dashtop & bonded them on (to the dashtop), when it was cured off, I wrestled the dashtop out (bolts point in different directions, so this bit's not easy) drilled the ali strips oversize to make it easier to re-fit, & the dashtop is now fixed in with nuts & penny washers on the captive bolts from underneath. I did a similar thing so the dash front bolts to the dash top, but the ali stips hav riv-nuts so the dash front bolt to the dash top. I dare say I have some photos somewhere if it helps.
"Low Commotion" Quite possibly the slowest Fury.........................................................................in the world.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Postby adithorp » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:35 pm

Not sure if this is fully relevent to the phoenix but on the Fury this is how I did it.

Across the lower windscreen edge I fixed 5 spring plates bolted to the bonnet shut line edge so not visable. The dash top traps between these and the bodywork. The dash top has a couple of pegs (pop rivets) that locate in holes in 2 of the plates.
The back edge of the dash top has 90' ally brackets riveted to it with riv-nuts on the vertical face. The dash top was then trimed to hide all the rivets.
The dash front then slots behind the lip on the top and is secured to the brackets with button head screws. It secures to the bottom frame the same way.

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z282 ... b9a406.pbw

adrian

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”