Q Plate or New Registration

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
ChrisSpectre
Name: Chris King

Q Plate or New Registration

Postby ChrisSpectre » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:16 pm

Im just trying to make the (tough!) decision on what roll bar option to go for before I order a J15.

This means I'm starting to look at the things I'm going to need to buy and it strikes me that the majority of it is going to be new. I would prefer a new registration and I know you are only allowed one item that is re-conditioned, but that raises some questions.

1) Does the engine and gearbox (Zetec SE in my case) count as one item?
2) Can you 're-condition' it yourself?

Does anyone have any experience of building a car and having it registered on a new plate?

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Re: Q Plate or New Registration

Postby adithorp » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:59 pm

I got a new reg on mine. You have to have all new major components, except one which can be "re-conditioned as new". You'll have to show reciepts for them including some proof of the re-build. Zetec and gearbox count as 2 items. I got away with the bike engine/box being one component, which it is, but some have had problems even with that. Alot depends on the DVLA person who deals with your registration.

adrian

kdempsie
Name: Keith Dempsie

Re: Q Plate or New Registration

Postby kdempsie » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:48 pm

Perhaps you can go for an age related plate if you buy enough from a single donor and get the V5, otherwise you'd need a new engine or gearbox. You can put a private plate on if you get an age related number to make it dateless but obviously not if you get a Q plate.

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”