Leader Front Suspension

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
sylva1
Name: Duncan

Leader Front Suspension

Postby sylva1 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:51 am

Hi guys I have a Leader SS that is running adjustable platform coil over shocks on a Magnum subframe with the standard Vauxhall hubs and wishbones.

At present I have a minimal amount of negative camber and as a result am wearing out the outer edges of the front tyres and suffering a touch more understeer than I would like. I understand that in principle by increasing the amount of negative camber on the front suspension this could be reduced. However, to the best of my knowledge the camber is not adjustable. Does anybody know of any other wishbones that could be used or how to make the existing set up adjustable. Any input would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Duncan. :)

pkuzan
Name: Paul Kuzan

Re: Leader Front Suspension

Postby pkuzan » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:31 am

Hi,

Not sure if running negative camber will cause the outer edges of the tyres to wear? Have you checked the tracking?

It is possible cut the inboard ends off the upper wishbones and weld in threaded ferrules into which spherical bearings can be installed. This will give you camber adjustment. Alistair Bell did this to his race Leader in the late 80's. The inner rubber bushes are no longer available so it would be a good opportunity to get rid of them.

Alternatively you could fabricate completely new upper wishbones. I would use Chevette outer ball joints as they are neater and rose jointed inners.

Let me know if I can help.

Paul

sylva1

Postby sylva1 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:34 pm

Hi Paul

Thanks for your thoughts, the tracking is absolutely fine, both options seem interesting but I guess the new wishbones are perhaps the easiest route as I admit to being fairly mechanically challenged. Do you know anybody who could make up some wishbones or who could adapt the existing ones. I would appreciate your further interest in this project, by the way where do you live?

Many thanks,

Duncan.

pkuzan
Name: Paul Kuzan

Postby pkuzan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:06 pm

Hi Duncan,

I have a workshop in Southampton.
Contact details at www.springworks.eu.com

If there are more Leader / Star owners out there who are interested, I could make a jig for fabricated, rose-joined upper wishbone and get rid of those nasty rubber bushes!

Let me know if I can help.
Paul

sylva1

Postby sylva1 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:40 pm

Hi Paul

Thanks for your mail, I will give you a call to discuss further with you.

Star and Leader guys this could be our chance to build in the facility to adjust our cars front suspension at potentially a low cost rather than having wishbones made up individually and paying for individual design costs, so give Paul a ring you know it makes sense.

For those of you who have the desire to compete it has often been stated that the Leader/Star is a better handling car than the Striker, that'll put the cat amongst the pigeons. From my own experience in the 90's and early 2000's it certainly can be a match and this is with a non adjustable front suspension, imagine what it could be like! Are cars are a bit heavier than the Striker, Phoenix, Stylus and Fury so this could be our opportunity to re dress the balance.

Regards

Duncan

jonathan280
Name: Jonathan Thomas

Postby jonathan280 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:35 am

Hello

I have a Leader 400, which doesn't use the subframe at all, and top wishbones attach to the chassis rails.

Would the fabricated wishbones fit mine?

Best regards..........Jonathan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sylva1

Postby sylva1 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:12 pm

Hi Jonathan

Since your mail I have spoken with Paul with regard to front wishbones for the Leader and he feels that it would be cheaper to have existing wishbones modified as opposed to having bespoke ones made. The upper wishbones are different between my Magnum based Leader and your Chevette based Leader. This would mean two separate sets of development costs. The only logical way of creating the new wishbones and for it to be cost effective is if there was to be suitably large run to bring the development costs down. If you refer to the earlier mails between Paul and myself you will have a greater idea as to what you need to do to create camber adjustable wishbones, alternatively give him a call I am sure he would be able to point you in the right direction.

Its good to hear from another Leader owner, where are you based in the country?

Regards,

Duncan.

sylva1

Postby sylva1 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi Paul

I am not sure if you received my previous message so to confirm my e mail address is:- duncan.leader@fsmail.net

Thanks very much for your interest in my project and I look forward to receiving your drawing with regard to the front wishbones on my Leader

All the best

Duncan.

beemer
Name: Tony lans

Postby beemer » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:05 pm

Will be revisiting this thread in the spring when hopefully the Leader will be up and running on the track!

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”