4age to type 9 clutch operation

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
The Knobs
Name: Tim Price

4age to type 9 clutch operation

Postby The Knobs » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:10 pm

Cant ever get the cable clutch to work as good as it should, never seems to disengage the clutch completely as if there is not enough available travel on the Ford lever arm, any tips ?

Other option is to go for a hydraulic one probably using Burton bits, anyone fitted one and does it do the job ?

David
Name: David Hussey

Re: 4age to type 9 clutch operation

Postby David » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:37 pm

The Knobs wrote:Cant ever get the cable clutch to work as good as it should, never seems to disengage the clutch completely as if there is not enough available travel on the Ford lever arm, any tips ?

Had both 20v and 16v 4A-GEs, using Raw's bell housing and didn't have *much* trouble getting good clutch actuation. Addmittedly I did have to shave the outer end of the Ford lever arm and "modify" the Striker tunnel just a tiny bit to prevent fouling. Also used most of the available adjustment on the cable.
HTH
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

The Knobs

Postby The Knobs » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:51 pm

I will be taking the engine out again shortly so will have a look at the lever arm mechanism as I did alter the mounting at the peddle end. It just feels like the lever arm wants to move further in to disengage the clutch fully, but cant for some reason. Its as if the arm is bottoming out before it should do as the pedal would travel further if needed to. Will have to get the box out and try it out of the car I think. Its bloody annoying that i cant just adjust it via the cable adjustment and get it working properly.

The Knobs

Postby The Knobs » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:10 am

Pedal, sorry brain disengaged for a moment no doubt. Cant stand writing things with spelin mistks :D

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”