S2000 Fury

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Chet
Name: Chet Galek

S2000 Fury

Postby Chet » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:15 pm

Has anyone built a Fury using the S2000 Honda engine and trans?

I had a customer try it by themselves here in the US several years ago but he eventually changed plans because of the height of the engine and the width of the bell housing. I believe that there are now dry sumps available that would obviously lower the overall height of the engine so that at least one issue would be resolved.

Thanks
Chet

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Re: S2000 Fury

Postby adithorp » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:51 pm

Not heard of any Fury s2000's but MK have done one in an Indy. I believe they had trouble getting it to fit and had to mount it a long way forward because of the bell housing. It's aparently not the best handling car because of that weight up front. Having followed it on track, I'd say it's not much quicker than Fury R1 although the driver was better/braver than me.

adrian

Dodger
Name: Roger Hammond

Postby Dodger » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:09 pm

I know someone building an S2000 Fury.

BGH made up the engine mounts for him when they made the chassis.

Last I heard the engine and box etc were in and he was just pondering how to modify the body. One thought was raise the whole thing a couple of inches at the top of the sill.

kennyrayandersen
Name: Kenny Andersen

Postby kennyrayandersen » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:49 pm

From what I’m read in the MK S2000 build log, the dry sump doesn’t change things a whole lot as the bell housing is only slightly higher than the bottom of the oil pan to begin with (seems like you get a bit more than a inch or so). When going with the dry sump, you gain a bit, but not so much; plus, the dry sump was pretty expensive. I really like the S2000 engine/tranny but have given it up as I want a smaller seven, or seven-based (or similar like the J-15) car. Bigger cars (and when I say big, of course they’re not THAT big) such as the Westfield, MNR, WCM Ultralite etc. can use it because they are quite a bit taller in the bonnet. I would think in something like a Fury, Phoenix, Fulcrum, Striker etc. that it would be a pretty tough slog to get it in there without some seriously unattractive bulges, or doing what WXM does on the XR7, which is to just cut a giant hole in the bonnet and let the engine poke through.

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:27 pm

Not directly applicable to a Fury I'm afraid, but Mick Cooper is leading a thread on the application of the S2000 engine in a Westfield here: http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=3;t=77046

Having sprinted against Mick's car I can confirm that it's not slow.

HTH
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”