Caterham 6 Speed Gearbox

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
DavidM
Name: David Merriman

Caterham 6 Speed Gearbox

Postby DavidM » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:52 am

I had a standard Type 9 box in my 4AGE 20v Striker and the ratios were quite frankly rubbish. 5th was geared for an utterly useless 180 odd MPH and 4th for 145ish and that's before I even thought about the huge spacing between 2nd, 3rd and 4th and the stupidly short 1st gear.

So destroying the synchros on 3rd gave me the perfect opportunity to upgrade.

My car is mainly used on track these days and I wanted to end up with a set of ratios with a better spread and significantly shorter overall gearing - even cruising on the motorway 4th gear was just fine. Firstly I looked at the BGH and other close ratio Type 9 options, but these all suffer from a 4th gear that's a 1:1 ratio and can't be changed - so the close ratio sets are all clustered around a 145mph 4th gear. Making 2nd and 3rd gear longer to gain a nicer spread of ratios was exactly the opposite of what I wanted! I could use a shorter diff to bring the overall gearing down, but I've already got a 3.92:1 diff - the shortest standard ratio. There are shorter aftermarket CWPs about for the diff, but they're pretty impossible to find and expensive too.

So I started looking at the Caterham 6 speed box. The ratios looked good, with 2nd a little shorter than my standard Type 9 and then a nice spread of ratios to a 1:1 6th. A bit of investigation showed that Caterham had designed the box as a drop in replacement for their Type 9 equipped cars, so it sounded promising. Those that know Type 9s will know that there are 2 common lengths for the input shaft. The box from 4 cylinder cars has a short input shaft and the one from V6s has a longer shaft (and a longer 1st gear). Caterham in their K-series powered cars at least use the long input shaft box, but with the spigot on the end shortened so the spigot is the same length as it is on the short input shaft version. Overall length of the input shaft on the Caterham 6 speed box is therefore something in between the 2 common versions! Otherwise externally the boxes are similar, same splines on the input and output shafts, same overall length and similar dimensions.

At this point I was confident I could make it work, so I went ahead and bought a Caterham 6 speed box from a K-series powered car. I got the engine and box out of my car and started measuring up. I decided that a 20mm spacer between box and bellhousing was just what I needed to mate the Caterham box with my engine, clutch and flywheel combo (standard RAW 20v 4AGE stuff). This would mean that the propshaft needed shortening 20mm and the gearstick and gearbox mount would move back by the same amount.

I looked around for a suitable spacer and found something at RWDMotorsport. I talked to them and found that the spacer they make is 18mm thick. This puts the ends of the splines on a long input shaft gearbox input shaft at exactly the same place they would be on the short input shaft version. The only problem with that is the Caterham box has a longer nose and I was worried about the clutch plate hitting the end of the nose of the box. I went ahead and ordered the spacer anyway, thinking I could always 'adjust' the nose of the box if necessary.

When the spacer arrived I found I had another slight issue. The Caterham box has a plate on the front of the box below the nose (held on by the blue bolts in the picture)

My spacer didn't have a recess for that plate (some kind of bearing housing I think). Modifying it so it did was relatively straightfoward though :)

Then I hit what should have been a fairly minor snag - the 'longer' M12x1.5 socket head bolts supplied with the spacer weren't 'longer' enough for my bellhousing. I needed 3 that were 75mm at least and could make use of 1 of the 50mm ones supplied. Finding those proved a lot trickier than I'd thought and meant it was another week before I could mate the gearbox with the engine.

I got it all bolted together and to my surprise found I could still operate the clutch. I couldn't tell if it was hitting the nose of the gearbox or not though, so decided to make an additional spacer out of some 1.5mm ali sheet I had knocking about. I simply didn't have time to put it all together and risk it not working - by now it was Saturday morning and the car was due out on a track day at Oulton Park on the Friday.

Getting the engine and box back in the car only showed up one other problem. The Caterham box has a breather on the top, which hits the transmission tunnel top if you try and put it in the same place as the normal box. I spaced the gearbox mount about 15mm to drop the box and get some clearance here.

Next job was to get some oil in the box. The filler is on the opposite side to the Type-9, so the hole I'd previously made in the passenger side of the transmission tunnel (the old box used to leak a bit) was useless. New hole made, but my 10mm drain key wouldn't fit, it was fractionally too big. It was late Sunday by now, so I didn't have a chance to get anything else. Turns out that the filler plug SHOULD take a 10mm key, but some of them are 3/8" instead :evil:

Anyway, by Wednesday evening I had the car running again and even quick test drive in the dark and in traffic showed that the new box was a huge improvement.

On Friday at Oulton it was a revelation (despite some teething troubles from me rushing getting the engine back in) - the car is completely transformed and it's so easy to keep above 6000RPM all the time now, which is where the engine really comes to life. I was arriving so much quicker at corners than on previous visits to Oulton that for the first couple of sessions I kept almost outbraking myself and tiptoeing round the outside of corners... The gearchange is fantastic now too, a 2nd only to my oh's S2000 (which has the best gearchange of anything I've ever driven)

In summary to do this you need

Caterham 6 speed box
Bellhousing spacer from www.rwdmotorsport.com
Shorten propshaft 20mm
Possibly 1.5mm ali sheet to make extra spacer for gearbox / shorten gearbox nose by the same amount (I currently run with the flywheel exposed to the elements, making a cover for this out of 1.5mm sheet that goes between block and bellhousing would probably be a good plan and solve this clearance problem too)
M12x1.5 capheads - 75mm long.
Drop gearbox ~15mm by spacing mount.
New transmission tunnel panel as gear lever moves back.

It ended up being a lot more straightforward than I'd feared and has made a huge difference to the way the car drives.

Hope I haven't bored everyone too much ;) (I've got lots more geeky stuff about ratios to do that with :lol: )

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Re: Caterham 6 Speed Gearbox

Postby jeffw » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:58 pm

Nice write up. How much do the Caterham boxes go for 2nd hand ?

MattD
Name: Matt Downes

Postby MattD » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:59 pm

Interesting... 8-)

I'm having similar gearbox thoughts myself, having got a Stylus with 2ltr Zetec, Capri Type-9, & 3.89 ATB english live axle.
1st is useless, but third gear on is nice & useable on the road, if you've got the space & no cameras !
No much good on track. Recent outing at Snetterton was using 4th gear max.

My diff options are 4.1/4.44 which would liven things up, but make 1st even shorter.

Have been looking at BGH long 1st, but it doesn't really gain me much, so would need their sporting close 2.8.
For sure it would be better, but still a compromise.

Leaves Quaife (2.04 1st), or an Elite.

Not considered the Caterham 6spd - What sort of £££ do they go for ??
Brian Hill - BGH - designed the prototype Caterham 6 speed, but is not allowed to make it as they own the IPR.

Rgds
Matt

DavidM

Postby DavidM » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:25 pm

You should be able to find them for £1000-£1200 if you can afford to wait around for them to come up. I ended up paying about £1400 from Road and Race Transmissions, but that was a rebuilt box. Expensive if you can make a standard diff ratio work with the BGH box, but I couldn't and the shorter ratio CWPs are another £500 just for the bits - if you can actually find them (which I couldn't).

Before the upgrade I could do about 105mph in 3rd :shock: , which meant at somewhere like Oulton I was using 2nd and 3rd pretty much all the time and just hooking 4th on the longer straights.

The Knobs
Name: Tim Price

Postby The Knobs » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:00 pm

I was supposed to be at Oulton on Friday but was away for my birthday instead. I have a BGH E8 with a 4.4 diff that is pretty much spot on for track driving, would be good to see how it compares with yours. I am booked at Brands on the 19th December and if its anything like last year, you should book up. Great Xmas dinner in the canteen and plenty of rain to scare the pants off me.

My mate was at Oulton in his S1 racecar, blue with the orange arrow, you proabably noticed it.

DavidM

Postby DavidM » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:07 pm

There was an S1 race car with a Gulf type colour scheme, was that the one? I thought it just had the normal Gulf stripe rather than an arrow though. Saw it around a bit anyway :)

Would like to do Brands, but I'm in Warrington so it's the best part of 200 miles away and I can't really get down there just before Christmas. Shame as it looks like it should be a great day and a bit of a bargain too.

The Knobs
Name: Tim Price

Postby The Knobs » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:19 pm

Yes that was the one. Going to Brands with him weekend after next for the LOT race.
Would like to get to the Oulton day in December, but I think the car will be in bits.
Will no doubt see you at a LOT day as they are by far the best TDO, the french trips are brilliant.

Just40in
Name: Justin Emery

Postby Just40in » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:38 pm

I believe it was Brian himself that designed the original 6 spd box for Caterham for this very purpose, but the story of dealing with them was not a happy one!

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”