Zetec engined Phoenix

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Zetec engined Phoenix

Postby jeffw » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:50 am

So the last of my winter mods is done....in time for this winter !

My Piper 285 cams (another ebay bargain) with verniers are now installed, timed and we (well mainly Jon Regan) have remapped the Megasquirt to take account of the higher lift. We had to take a fair bit of fuel out on the lower end and add a fair bit towards the top....as you would expect. All of this was happening at Jon's rolling road where he had been working on his J-15, Shindig, Full Bodied Riot, Spectre, which had to be driven outside in the rain to make way for its older brother (we put a cover over it )

The car is now making around 185BHP (Jon's RR isn't calibrated so this is a guesstimate) and on the road it certainly jumps when you get to 4000 rpm. I had to be a little careful as it is running on R888s and it was a little damp on the backroads of Kent yesterday but the car is significantly quicker than before. :)

So in the last 8 months the car has had

45mm Jenveys & Megasquirt fitted by M-Tech (to replace the 45mm Weber DCOEs)
Wilwood front brakes
Lightweight front hubs
Rob Farley Front Anti-Roll bar
Rebuilt diff (BGH Geartech did the work) with a Quaife ATB (another ebay purchase)
285 Cams & Vernier pullies (Fitted and mapped by Jon Regan)
New water pump, alternator & starter motor.
R888 tyres.

All this in time to be put away for the winter !

This winters mods/repairs are looking like

BGH gearbox needs rebuilding as the synchro had gone on 2nd gear. Will get Chris and the boys to check that it is HD and fix anything else that is wrong. I will try and resist the temptation to get them to fit it in one of their new alloy casings.....honest.

Carbon dash and the fitting of the Stack Dash off a Mk1 Elise which I have just aquired plus some mods to the savage switches so they light with the main lights.

Should all be finished in time for next October !

RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Re: Zetec engined Phoenix

Postby RobMsport » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:48 am

I'm surprised at the bhp figure Jeff , especially as you are using TB's . Before I swapped to TB's , my 2lt Zetec on Webers with 40 chokes plus standard head and Dunnell's fast road cams was giving 197bhp on the Porsche garage rolling road in Aylesbury. Everything else was standard apart from rod bolts , ported and the inlet was fettled :roll:
I reckon you've got more there than you think ;)

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:33 pm

I tend to agree with Rob. Son Guy's 1800 Zetec, which is standard apart from blueprinting, 40DCOE Webers with 37mm chokes, and the permitted (by 750MC) mildly sporting kent cams, turns in 176bhp at the MechMotorsport rollers (which I, and many other competitive types, trust to give the real answer rather than what you want to hear).

I reckon you should have a number around 200!
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

Chet
Name: Chet Galek

Postby Chet » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:08 pm

Too many of us get excited about peak HP numbers.

An engine that is tuned for overall HP rather than just peak HP generally performs much better.

Chet

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:00 pm

I have seen some stunning figures quoted for Zetec engines, mine has never come close to some of these quoted figures. On 45mm DCOEs the car made 145BHP, on Jenveys it made 159BHP. Piper quote 22BHP for the 285s so low 180s is likely. Maybe the engine has an issue but it seems to be OK and made 160 lb ft before the cams. This is a Silvertop rather than a Blacktop. Maybe with a ported and polished head it would make 200BHP :)

Certainly mean to take it over to Surrey Rolling Road (the only one I really trust, my RS4 made 530BHP & 520 lb ft there and it is the one I have used most often through the years) and find out what it actually makes on a decent dyno....

Anyway, just fitted my new powder coated Red cam cover which has to be worth 20BHP :)

RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Postby RobMsport » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:26 pm

Well with 160lb ft and now it's cam'd , I'd be expecting close to 170lb ft which will make it very drivable. Chet is spot on --- torque's what lap times are about , I rarely use 3rd on track other than a tight chicane.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:10 pm

Should be nice once the sun shines again :)

I'm putting in new dashboard with a Koso RX2n+ digital speedo. Just bought a lightened flywheel off ebay for £26 so another bargain :)

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:57 am

So ...

The Koso RX2n+ is in and work. I have added three buttons to the Momo removable steering wheel for Horn, Left & Right Indicators and wired it up via a plug and curly cable and it all works :) Next job it to sort out some of the electics and put it all back together. Been very bling by covering the dash in Carbon Fibre :). My wife is buying me a Red Mocal oil catch tank for Christmas :)

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”