Pinto Fuel injection upgrade Updated 10th April 2010!

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Timbo
Name: Tim King

Re: Pinto Fuel injection upgrade Updated 16th DEC '09!

Postby Timbo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:58 pm

I tested the injectors again tonight after they've been soaking for four days. All four now chatter nicely, so any problems now will be purely down to settings.I think I will try them again under pressure on Saturday, and just trigger them whilst looking down the throttle body, just to be sure all is well there.
Don't put tomato ketchup on your salad cream sandwiches. It spoils the taste of the chocolate spread.

Timbo

Re: Pinto Fuel injection upgrade Updated 16th DEC '09!

Postby Timbo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:24 pm

Well it was an interesting Christmas, I did manage to get a bit further, and stink the house out with petrol fumes to boot! It turns out I'd built in a wiring fault last year when I fitted the Megasquirt. So I took the opportunity to do a bit of rewiring, and just in time it seems. I decided to replace the fuse box, and fit a bigger one, since I'd got fuses scattered all over the place, and wanted to get them a bit more centralised. When I touched the main feed to the box from the battery, it fell off and dropped straight onto an earthing point. Disaster! Fortunately the battery was not connected, but I hate to think what may have happened had I been driving.Further tugs on cables found another three about to drop out. The new "box" has soldered crimps, just to make sure. I then tested it all with a direct live to the injectors and pump, and flooded the engine, the fuel pressure was far too high, and it dumped a load of fuel from the injectors into all four cylinders. Still, it proves they are working! I'm still to get the the car started, (time has been at a bit of a premium lately), and I still have to prove that the fuel pump is running when the engine is cranking. The problem is the battery doesn't last very long in this weather!, and I cant see the pressure gauge from the drivers seat. I also need to do this with the laptop hooked up so I can prove the MSQ is seeing the engine is cranking. After that it can only be settings............
Don't put tomato ketchup on your salad cream sandwiches. It spoils the taste of the chocolate spread.

Timbo

Re: Pinto Fuel injection upgrade Updated 10th April

Postby Timbo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Well, its been a long time since I even looked at the Fury without the covers on, let alone attempt to get it started. Unfortunately, work and a Kitchen refit have interfered with the fun. But, Today being nice and sunny, with no work and a completed kitchen, was "D" day. I was going for it. A check over of the ignition system proved I was not getting a spark! I checked the fuse, all was OK, it was intact, but when I checked it on my continuity meter there was no current being passed. The blades looked a little grey, so a thorough clean proved it was a surface corrosion issue. Not wanting to take the chance, I changed it for a new fuse. OK, fingers crossed. A check through the settings said it should start, so I turned the key. A few pops and bangs later (unburnt fuel in the exhaust) I instinctively gave the throttle pedal a blip and then a huge grin broke out on my face as it burst into life! Admittedly, it was extremely lumpy, and it had an very fast idle,but nonetheless it was running! A check on the balance of the TB's proved they were miles out. Ten minutes later, a balanced set of bodies and a smoothly idling engine, ticking over @ 950 rpm. Unfortunately, with no Tax, and several traffic coppers living in the area runs were limited to up and down the drive. but it seems to be pulling cleanly, except for a slight flat spot on initial throttle opening, and a small amount of pinking if you stab it. A more gentle and realistic throttle opening and there's no problem. I guess I just need to see how it performs under a real load now. Tax and MOT time I think! Stoneleigh here I come!

Fizzer

Re: Pinto Fuel injection upgrade Updated 10th April 2010!

Postby Fizzer » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:57 pm

fantastic news, well done :)
See you at Stoneleigh!

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”