I have a new engine, Zetec SE :)

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
JohnEM
Name: John Manser

I have a new engine, Zetec SE :)

Postby JohnEM » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:24 pm

Picked up a Zetec SE at a local scrapyard, 1.4 out of 2003 Fiesta Mileage 24,000. The Fiesta met its end upside-down I think, as there is engine oil everywhere!
Started to remove bits I don't want but will now have to decide on an ECU; OMEX, Emerald or SC, I am thinking Emerald as I can have 3 Maps at the flick of a switch. One for competition and one for driving to the event. Any thoughts chaps?
I am hoping to get the engine in and then start tuning, here in the SW the hillclimb classes are up to 1400CC then 1401-1800 with bike engined cars mainly in that class. hence going for 1400CC
John. :)

Werner Van Loock
Name: Werner Van Loock

Re: I have a new engine, Zetec SE :)

Postby Werner Van Loock » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:37 pm

hi, I don't quite get it, what bike engines are more then 1401cc?, would expect all bike engines in the sub 1400 class.

But anyway, the Zetec SE range is a nice piece of motor

Got a 1.6 sitting in the garage that I intend to rebuild some day as it was using too much oil when it was in the fiesta. It got a rebuilt head as the main dealer thought of leaking valve stem seals, but it wasn't that, probably piston ring failure or bad run in engine and needs a honing

pkuzan
Name: Paul Kuzan

Postby pkuzan » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:06 am

Hi John,

I'd go the Emerald route.

Great value. You get everything you need in the box. (I hope you got the engine wiring loom from the scrapped car)
They have a map for the 1.4 as fitted to JP's demo car
Adaptive mapping - install an LC-1 and it will map the fueling itself (almost!).
Very easy to use software.
Triple map support.
Supports all Ford OEM sensors and IACV.
Sylva an SpringWorks have loads of experience. We can help with wiring and mapping.
Good support from manufacturer.

All the best,
Paul

JohnEM

Postby JohnEM » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:39 pm

Thanks to you both.
Bike engined cars here in the ASWMC region are loaded;- "Class B1 Limited Production Road Kit Cars. Car engines up to 1400cc & M/C engines up to 875cc" .
So not many in there, in fact the class is usually empty ;)
Paul looking at my new engine, I think as a 2003 it is drive by wire! I was hoping that I could, for the first year, use the standard induction manifold, is that possible? Or am I looking at throttle bodies to get it up and running.

Werner Van Loock
Name: Werner Van Loock

Postby Werner Van Loock » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:05 pm

if you want to keep the costs low to start, make something like griffin sells, shouldn't be too hard if handy with a welder, easier then for a zetec E as the SE has the injectors in the head and not in the manifold.

http://www.griffinpower.co.uk/html/drawings.htm

Put a bit bigger sized single throttle body on it, like from a 2l zetec E and you should have a reasonable priced performant system, not something like ITB's, but then again, also not the cash like ITB's :D

you can reuse the fuel rail and maybe even the injectors, don't know their flow rate.

JohnEM

Postby JohnEM » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:41 pm

Thanks for that link and thoughts, one butterfly (as Ford made it) and Bob's Ur uncle!
Cheers.
John

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”