Name - From JP

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
Edd

Name - From JP

Postby Edd » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:06 pm

Just a short note to let you know that I have settle on a name, it may not be to everyone's approval, they could always call it a SYLVA SPORT.
Below is a draft of what has been sent to the magazines.
Kind regards,
Jeremy

Over the last 28 years I have scratch designed quite a few kit cars, fifteen at the last count if you include major model revisions. Choosing names for all these creations has been quite a challenge so it was a massive shock to receive a letter recently from a patent lawyer saying that I must cease to use the word "Spectre" as it is a trade mark registered to another company. Being a fairly ancient petrol head I have always relied on my memory to tell me if a name has been used in the recent past so as to avoid any conflict with another manufacturer. I was blown away to learn that a car was produced in the late nineties called the Spectre R42 that I had never heard of and talking around the race paddock and with other fellow enthusiasts I was not surprised to hear the same from them. Any way no good crying over spilt milk, I have no desire to add to the legal professions ample coffers so the "S" word will no longer be associated with a Sylva product. Fortunately the demonstrator has been delayed due to a heavy workload so no real problem, just got to come up with a new name. Many suggested that a competition could be held to choose a new name and under other circumstances this would have been great but with the new car rapidly readying for production I felt that a decision had to be made as soon as possible. This has been made doubly difficult now that I have been made vividly aware of the possible legal ramifications of inadvertently using a registered name. I did wonder about a number but after all these years I felt I had to come up with something; I kept hearing in my head "I am not a number" from the Prisoner series. Any name chosen has to slot after the word Sylva which immediately precludes for instance any word ending in "a". It would be wonderful to have a word suggesting grace, power, speed or beauty but believe me after searching my head and many hours with dictionaries and beelzebub's invention the computer it is near impossible to find a name that somebody else dose not have already. Going back to my short list I kept stopping at the word "Shindig", for me this will always conjure up the sound of the Shadows sixties guitar instrumental. The word suggests a party or fiesta so has happy connotations and as the new car draws on the inspiration of the classic sixties races I felt it might fit. I am sure some will look at this name and wonder if I have gone mad but I can remember when lee Noble called his car an Ultima" and thought what an odd name to call a car, now it sounds great helped by the fact that it is attached to a fabulous product.
If somebody had told me twenty years ago that a young man called "Jenson Button" from "Frome" would win the F1 World Championship in years to come in a car called a "Brawn" I would have thought he had flipped!!!

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”