Data Logger DL1 Mk2, PCB soldering

For general chat, questions etc about cars designed by JP - the main forum
pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Data Logger DL1 Mk2, PCB soldering

Postby pigeondave » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:34 pm

Hi all,

I bought the above data logger 2nd hand a while ago now (2015), and have finally thought about wiring it up. This is fairly swift movement from me.
I have been reading that its a good idea to replace the internal battery.
I opened it up and saw that it was a 2430 button battery so ordered one up from the amazon (67p delivered).

It arrived and I couldn't for the life of me get the old one out, it looked like it was soldered on. A bit more investigation and it turns out that Varta do the CR2430 as a PCB solder on battery.

Two questions, does anyone know of a good place to get the pcb battery? I have seen them at Farnell but theres a P+P charge of more than what the battery costs.

Is there a special soldering tip which should be used. I can't find the soldering iron, so was thinking of getting another one maybe from Farnell to ease the pain of the £5.50 P+P.

And before you ask, yes I did try to wrench the battery out.

Rabbi McPigeondave doesn't want to spend too much on this as, I'm not sure it works. It also looks like I need to fire up the old desktop machine with win 98 on it so I can format the CF card to some ancient file type.

Wish me luck folks

peter030371
Name: Peter Smith

Re: Data Logger DL1 Mk2, PCB soldering

Postby peter030371 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:55 am

Can you send me a picture of the board? There are different options on the battery tabs. Also there are tips on getting the battery off without damaging the board but again need to see what the tab options are.
Editor of 'The Proper Job'

pigeondave

Postby pigeondave » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:36 am

Peter thanks for the offer of helping out.

I've had a google about and found https://marineaviationelectronics.co.uk/ who are down at Shoreham Airport

They offered to do the job for the delivery charge of the battery. The guy said that they don't normally do such things but as I was local he'd help out.

I also have oven controller which needs sorting at the hobby job so will enquire about some proper work for them.

I found it cheaper at CPC
https://cpc.farnell.com/varta/064304013 ... dp/BT02170

Odd because they're called CPC farnell (£2.27) but at Farnell they're (£4.14)

peter030371

Postby peter030371 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:52 am

If you can get it sorted locally then go for it :-) If you get stuck let me know and I can swap it over for you (just the cost of the battery and post each way).

That one from CPC is correct. Farnell own CPC but Farnell tend to only do trade and often are more expensive for low volumes ;)

You should be able to test the DL without changing the battery. It should only need the battery for the clock and possibly some settings memory.

pigeondave

Postby pigeondave » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:58 pm

peter030371 wrote:You should be able to test the DL without changing the battery. It should only need the battery for the clock and possibly some settings memory.

Might have to fire up the old PC sooner then. Get that card formatted an cut the end off an old carvac so I can run it in the Focus.

Exciting times.

pigeondave

Re: [Update] Data Logger DL1 Mk2, PCB soldering

Postby pigeondave » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:28 pm

So I contacted Race Technology and they sent out the LAST (as the mk2 is no longer supported) firmware update for the mk2. This was v43 and was released May 2011.
My previous version was v28 so this was a welcome update.

The status and the GPS lock lights don't seem to want to stop flashing, but I only powered it up with the last firmware for 30seconds.

Now to figure out what type of differential pressure transducer I can get and use to look at pressures across the rad and on body panels.
It's looking like an analogue Honeywell one, either ±2.5Mbar, ±250PA or ±1" H2O. HSC or SSC?

Anyone got any ideas of suppliers? or what will work?

peter030371

Postby peter030371 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:36 am

The GPS engine in that units is quite old. It has a quoted time from cold of 34 seconds (which for an old unit seems quite good). I would make sure the GPS antenna has a clear view of the sky and give it a few minutes to find a decent number of satellites and get started.

I would start by asking RT what sensors they recommend. I did manage to buy high precision oil pressure and temperature senders direct from the manufacture for my Striker build (to go with my RT dashboard/logger) but it was hard work trying to get them to supply me just one of each and in the end it cost no less than buying from RT (although I managed to get the next better spec senders, doubt it makes any difference in my application).

pigeondave

Postby pigeondave » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:14 am

peter030371 wrote: I did manage to buy high precision oil pressure and temperature senders direct from the manufacture for my Striker build (to go with my RT dashboard/logger) but it was hard work trying to get them to supply me just one of each and in the end it cost no less than buying from RT (although I managed to get the next better spec senders, doubt it makes any difference in my application).

This was going to be my next question on the forum, which senders did you use?

Also where is the best place to locate the temp sender ? Sump plug or side of the block or take the sump off and have a boss welded in?

I have a pressure sender but it works on the ETB oil pressure gauge. I bought a dual(Racetech) gauge to show oil pressure and temp but the temp element is huge and an can't get it in any hole (I can hear AdiT snigger from here :D ).

So it would be nice to monitor oil temps in some way.

peter030371

Postby peter030371 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:25 am

pigeondave wrote:This was going to be my next question on the forum, which senders did you use?

Also where is the best place to locate the temp sender ? Sump plug or side of the block or take the sump off and have a boss welded in?

I can't remember where I got the temp sensor from (the pressure sensor came from Variohm, part number EPT3100-B-01000-B-5-C and including VAT and delivery was about £100 from memory) and it was several years ago. I will try and have a look through my paper work tonight and see if I can find the receipt.

I have a Raceline wetsump (on a Duratec). My temp sensor is in a taped hole I added to the blanking plug over the coarse filter in the output from the sump back to the pump/block. I figured this it the oil path back to the engine so this would be the best place to measure the return.

peter030371

Postby peter030371 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:31 pm

Just done a bit more digging around. I got a temperature sensor from Brand Hatch Performance, two of these one for oil and one for water
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0280130026-Water-Tem ... 1310893053?

I checked them in the temperature chamber at work and both worked well from room temperature up to 120C :D

Return to “Jeremy Philips Cars”